what can you do if you don't want a smart meter?

i live alone in a council flat and i'm adamant that i don't want a smart meter, ive heard stories that they spy on you and are not good for your health,  but my energy company scottish power recently emailed me telling me ; we are ready to fit your new smart meter...when i already told them years ago that i did not want one fitted, when they asked me then......i'm just an average man in my forties who lives alone....i dont want any interference.

what can i do?

• Mr. P

If they insist - you can change energy supplier to one that doesn't use them.

By law they can enter your property once a year to read the meter, and replace if faulty, but there is no obligation that they can change it unless faulty.

Besides - you can buy your own energy monitor and just clip it on the main feed and it will tell you everything you need to know- therefore no need for their version.

Main bad news about smart meters is that they can change your tariff to put the price UP only when you want to use it -i.e. cooking dinner, and not tell you in advance when they are doing this.

Also they will charge you more for capacitive loads - like energy saving lightbulbs. It doesn't cost them any more, they are just milking it for profit.

• F

Your paranoid. Why do people think they are so important that anyone would want to spy on them?

However, I have too declined a smart meter because they are all specific to the company installing them. I had one installed by British Gas, changed supplier and it doesn't work for them . New supplier wants to install their smart meter. I’ve told them to come back when they are universal.

So wear a tin foil hat asshole. They can't spy on you and you have more radio waves all around you already then you care to know about.

Call your power provider, and ask them if they have a " opt out " option . I believe that they are supposed to have a opt out option . However if you opt out a which as a working electrician . I don't have one on  my house . I opted out To do that they will charge a extra fee . Where I live it's 50 dollars a year . To have a meter reader come out . Your correct in some aspects of the smart Meyer . Smart meters use microwave technology . The magnetic field created by the smart meter can penetrate block walls , and they say can cause havoc with pace makers too . The smart meter also communicates with neighboring smart meters to compare usage and God knows what else 

You need to call them directly asap and ask about the opt out option for smart Meyers ,and be aware there may be extra fees to keep you d meter .I work with these things every day ,and I don't like them myself .The health or potential health issues from the magnetic fields is inconclusive .But the fact is where surrounded by them every day ,anduou can only escape it if you don't use any electric appliance ,cell  phone ,any electric motor that's turned on .There are mag fields everywhere electricity is being used 

.What is important is the strength of that mag field .Micro wave tech is very powerful , the waves can penetrate drywall .hollow bloc walls ,stucco and drywall even if it is insulated 

Makes little difference .micro waves are just that powerful . Your exposed to mag fields in every day ,24/7 EVERY DAY Unless you actually separate  yourself from every electric device in you life Including battery operated things .You won't escape it otherwise .Buy check for a opt out option That's the only thing you can do and don't quick Cause once they install it .Which you will NOT HE NOTIFIED OF WHEN THEY DO THAT .they usually will NOT put your old meter back or a similar one . Oncd the smart meter is in. I ts unlikelytjey will change it With this being the reason Your old meter was no longer compliant and it was turned over to salvage andnor destroyed . Basically telling you they can't get your old one back .you may find this info for opt out on the providers web site BUT TALK TO A PERSON TO OPT OUT to make sure you get what you want . Some places don't even tell customers that a change out is coming Theu DO MOT HAVE TO SINCE ITS ACTUALLY THERE 

EQUIPMENT THEY NEED NOT SEND ANY NOTICE OF SUCH CHANGE 

• Barry

Ignore them. You don't have to repeat your refusal. Although you are a tenant you have the right to refuse to have one fitted. If you wish you could call them and say if they continue to harass you you will consider changing energy supplier. It's not compulsory to have one fitted and may never be.

Source(s): I ignore the bastards.

they can't force you to fit them..i know a lot of people who have them ...they become paranoid about use....you look at them every time you use say an electric kettle ..it tells you how much money your spending ...so resist ..you might be a tenant but you have rights 

• Tavy

Say NO , you cannot be forced. I refuse to have one, no way. They don't spy on you but I don't like the idea of them.

• pmt853

Contact your council if this really worries you. Smart meters have had some bad press but they do not spy on you and there is no credible evidence whatsoever that they are bad for your health.

I think the first thing to realise is that smart meters are probably eventually going to be the only option open to people. It's very unlikely that they spy on you and there is no evidence that they aren't good for your health, so it might be worth spending some time researching and looking up evidence for/against your theory. However it's completely up to you, your energy company can't force you to have a smart meter, you still have rights to refuse and say no - simply phone up and tell them you don't want one. If they're being funny about it, switch energy supplier.

• Barry

Probably? What about probably never?