Marvin
Marvin asked in TravelAsia PacificThailand · 2 months ago

Locating my half-sister?

My father went to Thailand after his tour in Vietnam.  He told me when I was about 13 that I had a half-sister who was born in 1971 in Bangkok Thailand.  I know her name, but not her surname. Not all people in Thailand have surnames (often girls do not).  I know her mother's name and where she worked.  

I do not know if she ever married, or anything like that. When I was sick with cancer (better now). I traveld to Bangkok on a whim (did not pack any luggage so had to do some shopping). I hired a private eye, but she turned up nothing.  I gave up.

I am married now, and adopted a son. I wanted them to meet my sister, but cannot locate her. I have never met her either.

My father is deceased.

My father died in 2010.  He went to Vietnam circa 1969, and returned in 1971 or 1972. He SAID he took all his furloghs in Thailand. There is no way I could know how many times he was there or what the dates were.  I also do not know how he knew she was born. All his paperwork was lost in a fire back in the late 1990s.

When I served from 1989 to 1993, I was given 30 days furlogh every year. I am pretty sure that the men deployed in Viernam got 60 days, but I might have that wrong.

• The information you have given is no help at all.  Do you even know the location where she was born?  Do you know how many soldiers left some kid with their mother in Thailand,  You do not even have a place to start.  What city was this,   Give up I doubt you find her, and if you did she be after money from you.

Source(s): Live in Thailand and hear this same story many times before.

How long was your father in Thailand to know that he had a child born there?

The human gestation period is 36weeks.

He is either telling you a tale or you are making this up.

• Marvin

I think he was in Vietnam from 1969 to 1971 or 1972, I really do not know for sure. I was to young to remember when he left.  He has been dead since 2010.

You need to get more details from your father , maybe the mother's name and place of birth.

• Marvin

My father is deceased.