Thoughts on how to casually dress like a pirate?

So I've been watching pirates of the carribean constantly, because they're the only DVD I have. I decided that pirates always look awesome, but I don't know how to dress like a pirate without looking like an absolute idiot in public. I've already come up with a few ideas that are pirate-inspired: 

-white button ups not buttoned all the way, tucked into high-waisted pants

-lots of layered necklaces and bracelets 

-wearing a cool bandana 

-wearing my hair naturally wavy/curly to look all beachy 

-empire waisted things 

Any other thoughts on how I can look like a pirate without looking like a jack sparrow cosplayer? 

Favorite Answer

How do I dress like *fantasy character* everyday is a question I see frequently. My answer is always the same whether it's Jedi, Hobbit, My Little Pony or anime character: add one or two costume elements to your modern everyday wardrobe. A puffy shirt and pirate vest with regular jeans. The high waisted pants with a simple shirt and loose hair. The necklaces and beads with a simple t-shirt dress. If you wear one or two pirate style things often enough those closest to you will get used to it and you can add a bit more pirate swagger to your look. Do it consistently and it soon become your own quirky style and less about cosplay. It's how modern bohemian and 21st century hippie started: a few started wearing elements of both styles,  others soon picked up on the trend,  fashion magazines picked up on it, more girls started, stores sold it and now boho and modern hippy are no longer costumes but clothes. Maybe you can be a trend setter and a real style influencer. This would be a great instagram idea: the modern swashbuckler, the urban pirate, or whatever name you choose to use.

Just dress up like a Big Pharma CEO. You’ll be good

• Cee

Striped T-shirt, red bandana and knee length pants.

A wallet chain would look cool.

• F

Doesn’t matter as long as you have a parrot and finish every sentence with ..arrr!

• D50

Pirates don't dress casually. They spend a lot of time at their toilette before they are ready to make their appearance.

• Nick

Wear what you want, and tell the haters to shut up. A frilly shirt, tight leather pants and boots would look badass on anyone, male or female

Why not just stick a parrot on your shoulder and wear an eyepatch? You can tell people it's your pet parrot and you have pinkeye. I'm sure no one will criticize you. 

I'm sure any outfit would make you look like a pirate as long as you also smell like you've been stranded in sea for months

just wear a sword.

You can mix and match thigh high boots, bustier, peasant blouse, a wide belt.  You may not look like a cosplayer, but it's really easy to look like a hooker.

• tara2 months agoReport

oof lmao