What should I tell people I do for work, when I haven't had to work for the past 6 months?

I have a rich boyfriend who I work for, but do not wish to share this with anyone. I have not worked for the past 6 months and people have begun to ask me what I do for work. I do not wish to share my means of income, but am looking for ideas of what to tell people. Something simple and what people wouldn't know much about.

OR if someone knows a good/professional way to tell others to mind their business would be helpful as well.

Example Jobs: FOREX trading, mailing cannabis products over state lines, ...

Looking for a fake job that doesn't require me to report to anyone, kind of like I'm self employed and can do all my work from home, yet I'm still making enough to pay everything.

I am on his payroll and I am not required to do anything. Thats why I'm having trouble making up what I do. 

No I'm not a lazy bum. I got myself through college with no debt. Just got lucky with this situation for the time being. 

I think maybe you should address the shame you feel over the way you live. If you were not ashamed you would not have any need to make up fairy tales about your finances. 

When one lives in shame of one's life, the best thing to do is to live differently. 

• Lv 7

why not just say you'd rather not talk about it? honesty is still the best policy, last i checked.

"sorry, i'd rather not talk about it..."

• kswck2

Tell them you are a Freelancer

You are an 'Independent Content Writer' and you write content for websites that you are not going to disclose.  You are an Independent Contractor and you get on line work from UPWORK.com.  You 'Turk' for Amazon.

You are a 'Contact Tracer'  -A 'HIPAA' NDA prevents you from discussing the job.

You work for the 'NSA'  -  A Federal NDA prevents you from discussing it.

And finally, change the subject to something they want to talk about... "so what is it YOU do at work all day?"  ..." Enough about me...How is your ..(daughter, niece, son, cousin, mother, car, dog, cat....."

If you are working for your BF in some way, like helping him run a business or manage his investments, then just say you are working with your BF.

If you are literally doing nothing for money and he has enough just sitting in the bank to cover everything then just say you are taking some time off from the workforce and living on savings.

Nobody needs to know details, its none of their business. They don't need to know that your "savings" is your boyfriend's and they don't need to know how much or how little time you actually spend helping out with his business.

If you want to lie and just give them a fake profession then go right ahead, but personally I'd just keep it vague but technically honest, and change the subject to something less personal.

I see three classes of people.

1) People, like loan companies, who have a business interest in verifying your income. Don't lie to them.

2) People close to you, like your parents. You have to decide if keeping your rich boyfriend secret from them is worth the moral hazard of lying to them. (Note, this class of close people will share information about you with each other.)

3) Strangers and slight acquaintances, for whom your employment is really none of their business. Describe the tasks that you do, without referencing your employer. "I work in accounting" rather than "I keep the books for my bf."