kenta asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 2 months ago

How do you write down your thoughts and your feelings?

I always want to write down my thoughts, feelings, and emotions but I can't ever seem to express them in words correctly.

I often get certain thoughts which I'd like to develop even more but I end up forgetting these thoughts before they come back again on a certain day, and then forget about them again, and it's a cycle.

I feel very poetic when it comes to these feelings and I want to create something with them, a song, a poem, a story, something.

• 1 week ago

You have the talent but it is just a matter of quickly jotting down your poetic thoughts, so they don't fly away!  I know the feeling.  What I do is write it out on my trusty cell phone which I carry with me at all times.  It is quick, and easy.  I use a nonexistent phone number to set up as a friend to text to.  Then when I text the messages/poems/ideas are still there.  You could even set it up to send to your special Poetry ID number.  Try it.  It works for me.

• Robert

Keep a notebook. Write things down as you think of them and put them together later.

There is an excellent soul-opening book for you, Kenta: Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way".  However, in the short-term, to begin journaling you might consider using a single word at first---just one word that you can feel or visualize that seems meaningful.  I wrote an exquisite poem that began with seeing a giant eagle in a metal cage at the St. Louis zoo with no room for his wingspan---the sheer sadness I sensed in this eagle stayed with me, so when I went to a Creative Writing class that week at St. Louis University taught by an elderly gay professor named Dr. Montesi, a man who had won awards for his writings and poetry, I was older and had been in the military during the Vietnam war, but none of the younger kids in class had that experience.  They were making fun of the short professor's speaking style and of his poem "Dom Zu Muenster" about a World War II bombing.  I sat in the back of the room and saw the professor standing just outside the door, hearing his students mocking his art and his personality---and he suddenly became that caged eagle with no room for  his full wingspan.  That day, I sat on a bus stop bench and the poem "Hummingbird and Eagle: A Love Story" poured out of me: "The oh so tiny hummingbird I be/Pushed to be an eagle by life's demands on me/Made to see myself with only eagle eyes/Thus lost to me because of my diminished size/Crying to be found but no one hears such tiny cries/And so I fall." 2nd verse: "You the giant eagle with the tethered wings/Held to ground and yet your kingly spirit sings/Crying silent songs that echo through the endless skies/Raging helplessly within to be a bird that flies/Held back by the force of fear each time your spirit tries/You hear my call."  And the poem goes on through two more verses, then ends with two lines: "You saved the hummingbird with hidden courage that broke through/And doing that you saved the mighty eagle that is you."  This masterpiece has gotten standing ovations at all-male prisons or public gatherings, and it began with the vision of a caged eagle, triggered by the sadness on Dr. Montesi's face.  

There's an annual Writers Workshop held in Centerville, Massachusetts on Cape Cod each year that I attended once. This is where I learned a new term and technique: "word horde."  To get around writer's block or self-doubt, close your eyes and look inside for a single image or word, then put that word on a blank page anywhere you want. I often put my first word in the middle of the page.  Now turn back to your mind's images and your feelings as you hold that one word like a newborn baby or cuddly pup and let inspiration run wild.  Soon a second word seems to emerge, then a third. Write each one down, putting a mark of some sort next to the words that have more weight or meaning to you.  Later on you can choose those specially marked words to begin a poem or story or book.  Hope this helps.

• WinterRose
      1 week agoReport

This is so awesome.  I have a copy of "The Artist's Way," and you make me want to read it over again!

Its easy! Firstly, you take a pencil. Then you get a paper. Then you take that pencil and write slowly on the paper “Your Thoughts and feelings”. So first you wanna write “Y”, for that you draw two bent vertical lines and then a straight vertical lines that connect the two bent lines. Then for “O” you draw a circle. For “u” just draw a upside down thumb with no fingernail. For “R”, you draw a B, but erase the bottom part of the B. Now “Thoughts” For “T”. You take the pencil, draw a straight vertical line, then on top of the vertical line, you draw a horizontal line. For “H” you write 2 vertical lines and a horizontal line between both vert lines. For “O” u pretty much draw a circle. Then for “U” you draw an upside down thumb, but without a fingernail. For “G” draw a chair slanted forward and a small table. Repeat the same step for H and T. For “S” just draw a cartoony snake. Now “And”. For “A” you draw a pencil, but dont colour the lead black. For “N” you draw two vertical lines and th

• Naya2 months agoReport

then a bent line connecting the two lines. You know what Idc anymore just **** off. Go to youtube and search up a tutorial on how to write in English. Its a shame that you as an American dont know how to write in English. 

You have to do it right after you have a unique though before you forget it. Now if you have a computer you can write it down as a text or you can keep a notebook or even write it on a smart phone. But the main thing is to get it down before you forget it. Some people keep a notepad near their bed to write down their dreams right after they awake.

• sam

Maybe carry a notebook around with you, so whenever you think of something, just note what the idea is, so you’ll remember it down the road.

• Brian

You can always draw a picture instead.