Can i buy and sell different stocks on the same trading day?

i understand what the pattern day trading rule means, for the most part. Everything ive read uses the wording, "buying and selling the SAME stock in the same trading day" what if i want to buy and sell DIFFERENT stocks in the same trading day? what if i make more than 3 trades in the trading week but they are all different stocks? does the pdt rule only apply to round trips of the same ticker?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

<<<Can i buy and sell different stocks on the same trading day?>>>

Yes

<<<what if i want to buy and sell DIFFERENT stocks in the same trading day?>>>It will have no impact on any day trading restrictions.<<<what if i make more than 3 trades in the trading week but they are all different stocks?>>>Again the position day trader rules do not apply.<<<does the pdt rule only apply to round trips of the same ticker?>>>

Yes.

-----

The following does not answer the question asked, but they are some things you should understand about frequent trading. It is likely you already know them, but it does not hurt to mention them even if you do.

If you are trading in an account which does not charge commissions there may be a limit on how much you trade before they start charging commissions.

If you have a cash account instead of a margin account you need to understand the free-riding rules. (See links below.)

Most people make larger profits with a buy and hold strategy than by doing a lot of trading.

• 4 months ago

Buying and selling different stocks on a daily basis is perfectly legal, there are no trading restrictions and/or rules that would restrict you. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Buy and sell all you want. Just not buy and sell the Same stocks the same day. 

• 4 months ago

You can buy all the stocks you want on the same day, even buy and sell the same stock.  What you can't do is sell a stock for a loss and then buy it within a month, I believe, if you want to take it as a tax writeoff.  Review "Wash Sales."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

You're all good in terms of being labelled a day trader.  A buy and sell order is only considered in deciding if you are a day trader if you buy and sell in the same day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.