Are soft pastels worth it?

I want to buy some soft pastels for drawing purposes, but before I do I want to know if it's worth it?

Hii Fallen

I am Rishab Shukla I am saying that because 

Schmincke Half-Stick Extra-Soft Artist Pastel Set.

Rembrandt Soft Pastels Basic Half Sticks Set.

Mungyo Soft Pastel Square Chalk Set.

Sennelier Half Pastel Paris Collection.

Blick Artists’ Soft Pastels.

Loew-Cornell Soft Half Pastels.

Faber-Castell Creative Studio Soft Pastel Crayons.

Powwow

www.powwow.co.in

Soft pastels can be found at lower end prices. I personally find them easy to work with and enjoy the versatility. Even if you are not an amazing artist you should give it a go as you will only learn with practice!

Pencils - 15 kinds, Pens, 25 kinds, charcoal, at least 5 or 6 kinds, crayons kiddy and adult, watercolor wet and dry, gouache, acrylics, oils, and a whole family of pastels and no doubt I am forgetting something. And lets not even get started about supports 

What the artist uses determines the results. There is no "worth it". If you don't like them then they aren't for you, that's all.

• Tim D

If you want to use them they are worth it.

It is definitely not worth buying a cheap set, they are either too soft or hard and gritty. Buy yourself a few (or one) more expensive pastels. and work on a decent paper (paper choice is very important) some prefer a toothed paper, some prefer much smoother, some use sugar paper (although this will fade badly in sunlight). You will also need fixative (hairspray is alright for pencil but not ideal for pastels).

• Quentin

Yes, that high quality paper for pastels is also very expensive!

Define what you mean by "worth it?" If you are just starting out, you probably don't want to invest in an expensive set. Maybe get a small set and then watch some YouTube videos because they can be a great help in showing you techniques.