Is it just me? ?

As I get older, and perhaps wiser (I hope), I see people becoming more obsessed with job titles, rather than the actual work. Maybe I’m just not with the times, but like buying a car, having a home, having kids, etc. takes a lot of work. A lot of work and perseverance. I’m buying a car this fall, and I didn’t wake up one day and say, “I’m gonna but a car.” It took a lot of work and saving. 

Am I crazy? Maybe it’s just social media. 

Plus, life is tough enough. I don’t need people poking at me and being like, why aren’t you rich? That’s not how it works. Ugh. I need a calm-down.

Favorite Answer

Income and future means more than job title.

• Judith

I would imagine that if someone wants a given job for a certain title that they will have to work just as hard to get that job as anyone else would.  Motivation doesn't have to be the same for everyone.  What matters is how hard and well a person is willing to work to get what they want.

Don't kid yourself and feel self-righteous in thinking that those people haven't worked just as hard as you work.  Maybe they're just smarter.  Or maybe better educated.  Or maybe they are being recompensed for skills you don't have.  Whatever.  You don't need to run someone else down to feel better about your own job, its title and how much you earn.

And yes you need to calm down.  You seem to be pretty defensive.  I don't understand why it is you feel you need to defend yourself and your lifestyle, job and income.  Because that is what it sounds like you are doing.

The vast majority of people are in the same boat you are in.  They work hard at mediocre jobs and bring home mediocre pay, struggling to pay their bills from one payday to the next.  No need to compare your circumstances with people who are higher up on the income and social ladder.  In fact, it's senseless to do so.