Is there a way to get a licence without insurance?

I want to get my driver's licence but I don't have a car or insurance. I don't plan to drive, I just want the licence. Is there a way to get my licence without having insurance?

• Kaz

You don't need insurance or a car to get a license.  Just go to your Department of Motor Vehicles (in person or online) and get the application (which will tell you what documents they require).  Then you just have to pass the written, eye, and road test.

(Having read the other answers, it seems that North Carolina does require insurance to have a North Carolina drivers license).

i dont know im not sure but you can always try googleing it

• May

Of course there is a way to get a drivers license.

Automobile Insurance is NOT required to obtain a drivers license.  Where did you ever get the idea that insurance was required to get a drivers license?   Automobile insurance is only required if you have a vehicle to insure and you want to (park or) drive a car on public roads.Where in h3ll do people get these notions?

Yes there is a way.  Take the test in someone else's car, dummy.

There's only one jurisdiction in North America where insurance is required to hold a valid licence, and that's North Carolina.  If you live anywhere else, you can have a licence without being named on a policy.

If you do live in NC, you'll have to get a non-owner's policy.  Those policies are cheap compared to regular policies, mostly because they don't really cover anything.

In some states, you can get "non-owner's" insurance without a car.

• Ron

The only state that requires you to have personal liability insurance to get an unrestricted license is North Carolina

If your state requires insurance to get a license, you can always just get a picture ID.

It will be more or less the same as a license, it just won't have anything next to endorsements (whereas my driver's license has a 'D' for driver and 'M' for motorcycle).

Each state has different laws.  In my state, you can obtain a drivers license without showing Proof of Insurance, but need the PoI to obtain license plates.

You can get a state ID instead. Just as valid as a driver's license except the driving part.

No problem.  As long as you have an insured car for the road test