How do you fix a jammed sewing machine?

When I was about fix a shirt I forgot to turn the hand wheel into the shirt and ever since the bottom thread wouldn’t sew properly and the thread can loosely come out. I’ve tried re threading but that hasn’t worked

• Donna

I always insert a new needle and make sure it is a ballpoint for knit fabrics and a sharp for other fabrics before doing anything else.  If  that doesn't help then you check the bobbin , the tension and thread.  I use gutterman  or Koban . You get what you pay for when it comes to thread. You can also check on youtube for a tutorial for any problem with sewing machines. Specify what make and model you have. There is usually an answer for any problem, big or small.

Sounds like the tension is very odd.  You can try to tighten the tension, but I have found when it is as messed up as you describe it is best and easier to take it to the shop.

Did you set the tension? If you did not, then you will have a  mess. Read the Threading instructions, mine is set to three and a half. 

Then let your Thread operate the tension part itself. 

Jamming is usually caused by the bobbin thread. Have you re-threaded the bobbin?

First: if the machine won't start unless you turn the wheel then it's time for a pro to look at it. It might need a good cleaning and de-gunking. Fibers can get inside a machine and if the grease inside gets clogged up with fibers it will harden and make the machine slow and in some cases stop it. Next: is the machine in gear? Occasionally the bobbin winder clutch on the wheel seems disengaged but it isn't. Ensure that the clutch is fully engaged when switching between winding bobbins and sewing. Check around the bobbin area for loose threads, lint and tangled threads.  If loose threads get wrapped up in the bobbin area in my one industrial machine it will jam up completely. If your machine is old then it might be nearing the end of its life. Sewing machines from the 70's and 80's were made to last 10 years and then fail forcing people to buy a new one. 

So start with a good cleaning inside and out. Check the bobbin area for lint and loose threads. Ensure the threading path to the needle is clear of lint and threads. Check the clutch on the handwheel to ensure its in the right gear. Try sewing without rotating the wheel.  If none of that helps then it's time for a servicing  by a pro.

• Lolly

You didn't mention what make and model.

The only reason to turn the handwheel before sewing is to bring up the bobbin thread.  No machine old or new I have sewn on requires you you to turn the handwheel to start sewing.  

You do need to hold on the bobbin and upper thread tails behind the needle for the first few stitches. 

Take out the bobbing and casing and out them back in, make sure the bobbin thread is caught on the bobbin tension.  Rethread the upper thread with the pressure foot UP. I would also change the needle. 

The bottom or bobbin thread is too loose means you don’t have it threaded properly. 

You shouldn't need to turn the hand wheel to start sewing.

The first thing I would do is check whether or not the needle is bent or the tip is damaged. If it's off even a little bit, it will not sew right, so replace it. If you can't get it going, at least ask again with the name and model of your machine. Otherwise, take it to a local sewing repair shop for  a tuneup.

• Tavy

You could try YouTube, they have a video for everything.