Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 2 months ago

If, by age 27, a person who was homeschooled is unable to find gainful employment or form interpersonal relationships, who would you blame?

The individual in question was forced to spend the majority of their upbringing locked down at home in front of a computer. Parents were too afraid of peer pressure to allow this person to have neighborhood friends. As an adult, this person lacks social skills and self-awareness as their brain developed apart from peer interaction. 

Who would you give the credit to if the 27 year old homeschooled person was living a successful life?

• cool

The same people you blame if a traditionally educated person is struggling to make the transition to adulthood, their parents.

Homeschooling is not a panacea.

• Sally

I would blame Michelle Obama and his husband.  

Wherever this scenario comes from, it appears that the case has already been made, targeting home-schooling as the reason the  individual did not succeed in social and professional areas.  This is not necessarily the outcome of home-schooling; there are many successes.  I would have to ask what this person did from the time he/she completed secondary education (around the age of 17 or 18), to the age of 27.  If this person became convinced that home-schooling was to "blame,' what steps were taken as an adult to address it, and move forward?

You seem to imply that this is a typical outcome for homeschoolers which is far from reality. The average homeschooler does not "spend the majority of their upbringing locked down at home" with "parents too afraid of peer pressure." 

Neither does public school prevent an outcome like the one you describe. Who hasn't met adults who lack social skills and are unable to form interpersonal relationships? There are plenty of public school grads who could fit that description as well. 

Regardless of one's upbringing, any one can choose to improve themselves... whether career-wise, or socially.

I'm not sure what good assigning blame would do for this person at this point in life. They have lagging skills for whatever reason and need to take responsibility as an adult to learn those skills. It is hard to know how to interact and live in society when you didn't have early exposure to the culture, traditions, how people interact, etc and there is no denying that this person wasn't prepared in childhood to be successful in their community. Now, they need to get involved in learning those skills and moving on with life.

• Laurie

What about POST high school education?

That makes it the unemployed person’s fault.

• humpty

I actually have a young friend who is a lovely young woman of twenty seven, home schooled by fanatically Catholic parents. Her education is definitely irregular based on her parent's fanatic doctrinal correctness and she has spent the last five years correcting those deficiencies while working as a nanny.

She is also far more comfortable with my wife and myself than with young men her own age because her mother has poisoned her mind and denied her access to a peer group for the purpose of adjustment. My wife and I love this girl as if she was our own daughter and I admit we bitterly regret the damage her parents did; even though they have managed to produce a loving, thoughtful child she was denied accessto any of the scientific or reasoning skills that would make her more employable.

Seriously, this young woman is a master points bridge player and has a naturally analytical mind. She plays a dozen musical instruments, and now that my wife has taught her mathematical skills she can do calculus in her head. By failing to allow her to develop those skills while young her parents crippled her future.

Is that the fault of home schooling or just religious stupidity?

The 'parents,' of course.

• Chris

This person could become a world-class software developer.