Why is my 1990 dr650 shutting off around 70 mph like its too hot? I used to be able to hit 90 easily. ?

I love this bike. So I'd like to fix it asap. 

It also takes a bit before it'll start when this happens. Any ideas? 

Yes.  It is not getting fuel. or air(check air cleaner and make sure it is clean and unblocked) Really nothing else to check.

Check that your getting proper fuel flow The DR has what's called a roll over valve When in the event the bike is crashed or on it side It automatically stops fuel flow .I bet that valve is not working properly Many guys remove it all together .

There's no reason for exceeding the speed limit, so live with it. Serves you right for being a scofflaw

p.s. I hope you roll down my street someday because there is a nice long piece of piano wire just waiting to decapitate you. 

Here are a few people discussing possible issues:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/591501-dr650-...

One possibility is the side-stand switch.

"Shutting off" sounds electrical. No maintenance history given. If a temp sensor is a thermistor, increased resistivity at a connector causes a false high temp reading. Gotta manual? Know how your bike, like, works? Have you ever maintained anything electrical on the bike beside the battery? Didja know you can go through the electrics and disconnect all of the connectors and spritz 'em with contact cleaner? Yes you can. It'll be a good opportunity to look for worn and cracked insulation.

Ya might wanna check your coils for resistance / continuity and dielectric integrity. The best test tool for dielectrics is a meggar, which I betcha ain't got, but checkin' 'em with a dmm is better than nothing. If everything just suddenly stops, it could be your electronic ignition is on its way out. Is it a CDI? Your manual will tell you. Electrolytic capacitors (the C in CDI) can eventually dry out and die, which could give you a weak spark, especially at high rpm. A capacitor must have the CAPACITY (notice how similar that word is to "capacitor") to hold a charge. Rapid ignition gives it little time to recharge. If the cap's weak, it won't fully recharge.

No doubt you have been following the service schedule religiously so you know the valves are properly adjusted and within tolerances, that the oil is regularly changed along with the filters (including the cooling system), what does the spark plug tell you?

EDIT to comment

The 1990 DR650 is oil/air cooled.