Jimmy S asked in TravelCruise Travel · 2 months ago

is the cruise industry dead?

I don't see why anyone would go on a cruise after this pandemic

No. Carnival is making plans for the next cruise. I would go again.

• lkl

Currently yes, as is many other things but that doesn't mean they won't be back.

When the world is normal cruising is OK.

No, not dead, just sleeping.  Many people who had cruises booked for now were offered future cruise credits.  I suspect as soon as its safe to cruise again, most of those people will be rebooking.  I've got two booked now.

I hope so !

I was gravely ill after a cruise I took long before this Covid business.

So were most of the boat. It spread like wildfire through the ship.T

To add insult to injury the ship will charge you $250 USD per 15 minutes to see the ships doctor and their medicines costs are US cost plus margin.

Cruise ships are conveniently flagged in questionable countries purely to escape responsibility and outcomes for their businesses should anything happen.

I hope Carnival cruises are totally banned from Australian ports for the foreseeable future because of the way they lied and covered up to Australian authorities about the infections on board.

• Den B7

When the pandemic is over, why would people NOT return to doing what they enjoy? Cruising wasn't the cause of the virus. The industry was impacted by the virus just like everywhere else.

Would you suggest that nobody will join the Navy again following an outbreak on an aircraft carrier?

I would.  Probably won't go for a hot minute though.  Would also be more cautious as to what's going around before I go.

• audrey

After the great caronavirus depression, maybe in five years or so, they'll make a comeback.

The bottom will drop right out of the market, but it'll recover in the long term. 

I always thought they were a bit like floating care homes at the best of times.

Not sure anyone is going to have money for luxuries when this is all over.

It seems likely 

Even before this cruises were known for being breeding grounds for sickness ... this is just the final straw