East asked in TravelCruise Travel · 2 months ago

What’s so appealing about cruises?

I can see going on a boat where you’ll be exposed to the wind and sun and close to the water.  But cruise ships today are so huge, it seems like cruising on one is like being inside an office building on the sea.  What’s so enjoyable about cruises?  I’ve never been on one.  Thanks.

It's a floating resort with hotel, restaurants and activities and port stops where you can get off and see something different.

• L
      2 weeks agoReport

I've been on one cruise and it was just as you described.

The traveling, mainly.  You're in your homeland one day, then in a completely different culture the next; out exploring the scenery and its people.  It's also way cheaper than flying as it includes the days, room, food, and entertainment.  Could also get exposed to the wind and sun on the top few decks and water if you have a balcony room.  Altogether, it seems to be a pretty nice, convenient, all-in-one vacation package.

Floating COVID petri dish offers good opportunity for epidemiological studies.

• Dj2541

I  have  absolutely  No Idea, its  like  being  in a  hotel that  floats!!!!!

Lots of things to enjoy on a cruise ship beyond what you mentioned.

It's a small, active, floating city with wine bars, beer bars, champagne bars. Every type of restaurant you could imagine as well as the buffet. Coffee shops, pizza parlors, and shops and stores. A number of pool, spas, and great entertainment as well as service just ask.

Excursions are the highlight, you can see more by getting off at every port and take an adventure. We treked through the cool jungle in Costa Rica, for a zip line back down. We loved our South Pacific cruise and explored Fanning Island, A small atoll about 1100 miles from Hawaii.

Meeting people on a cruise ship is exciting. Everyone has a story, a tale or adventure from last cruise. We actually met people who live about 2 miles away from us. We bacame great friend and have game night at our house once a month.

Lots of reasons to cruise.

I'd suggest a small cruise 7 days. Get a room with balcony. Do not get a box room with no windows, or balcony. Midship is the best, no motion. 

Good luck i hope this helps.

Next year we go on our last cruise 4 months around the world. After years of traveling, cruising 20+ times its time to do something different. 

• Den B7

For me it's the hot tubs. There's nothing like sitting in a tub of bubbling hot water with nine strangers, half with skin problems and the rest with excessive body hair.

I've been on 19, and have 2 booked.  We take two vacations a year, generally one on land, and one cruise. Each have their pros and cons.

With a land vacation, I have to pick a hotel, or several (we like to see a lot when we do a land vacation), research restaurants, sort out flights, rental cars, routes, things to do and see, etc.  I have to convert some money (we usually go to Europe), and learn enough phrases to take care of the basics.  It's a lot of work.  On the up side, you really get to experience a place, especially if you avoid the really touristy spots, eat where locals eat, and wander off the beaten path.  You are IN a place when you do a land vacation. We like going to places that aren't that popular, and on the edge of the tourist season.  We went to the Azores last year, and spent time on 4 islands.  It was very cool. 

When I do a cruise, I pick the one I want, get a hotel for the night before, and sort flights. We tend to avoid excursions through the ship, as I prefer for my money to go directly into the local economy. So I'll research local tour companies and find reliable ones with good reviews.  Once I set foot on the ship, I have to unpack once, and then I get to wake up in a new place every day.  I don't have to research restaurants, no rental cars, no need to convert money (unless it's a European cruise), and no driving.  I get to kick back and relax for a week.  We walk a lot on cruises, so we don't put on weight, and neither of us drink or eat to excess so that's not a problem.  We have met a lot of people cruising, and whoever we do one, there are always people we know, so we get to hang out with them.  On the downside, you are AT a place, not IN it.  So you don't have time to absorb culture, but if we like a place, we'll go back and do a land vacation.

Cruises get a bad rap "they're floating Petri dishes", "it's all old people", etc, etc.  That's crap.  I mean if your idea of a vacation is hiking the Rubicon and sleeping in a tent, you will hate it. But they aren't crowded, and if you pick one that suits your travel style, they are amazingly relaxing.  If they really sucked, people would do one nd never go on another.  I know people who have done 100.  

• You said, "We tend to avoid excursions through the ship, as I prefer for my money to go directly into the local economy." The money DOES go into the local economy, the cruise line only takes a small booking fee. And you are guaranteed that the ship will be there when you return.

Its an all inclusive, relatively inexpensive way to travel internationally.  While you won't be immersed in any one culture, you do get somewhat of a flavor for it.

• Bob

Cruises are good for the sort of person who thinks they want to travel to other countries, but doesn't want to have to experience any foreign cultures or food.

By staying on the floating hotel for most of the time and only having to actually set foot in those foreign places for very short, controlled periods of time, they can go home and tell all their friends that they've been to all those amazing places but without having to put up with all the inconvenient things, like the natives not speaking English or - even worse - having to ingest that horrible foreign food.

Cruises are for sheep who like to do everything in big crowds of their own kind.

• hihi!

I haven't either, but they seem to have nightlife, entertainment, lots of food and ??drink?? Maybe a good place to mess around with someone you will never see again, if you are into infidelity. See interesting ports of call. Just the idea you are traveling on the ocean.