What should I do if my package is stuck in the USPS dropbox?

I just went to the post office and tried to put my box in. It is the same size that I usually use and it usually fits just fine, but this time when I pulled up the handle to drop it in, it would not close all the way, leaving my package jammed into the box. I tried maneuvering the metal trap door but it wouldn't budge. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Had this happen a lot. Usually this means that the bin is full, and won't let your package drop.  If you cannot get it out of the drop area to take to the counter, let the Post office people know (politely) that the bin is full and won't allow packages to drop. 

Call the Post Office that picks up at that location. They will send someone out to correct the situation. I worked for the USPS for 34 years and this rarely happened but when it did we emptied the box and removed the package. 

consult the post office staff ...

Take the package inside the post office.

If you actually managed to get it stuck, which would require significant effort on your part, call the number on the sign showing what times the USPS picks up from the box.