Aubrie asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 months ago

I am 16. How can I get the pill without my parents?

I don't have a license yet. I need them to help with my period. It is really out of whack even though I have had it for 3 years. Way too long, unpredictable timing, unusually heavy, painful. I can't wear tampons, like it is physically not possible for me because I clench up, but I try not to. My mom won't let me get the pill because of the possible side effects. But she doesn't know how I feel and it would do me a lot more good than harm. Please help.

• sian

Depends where you live. 16 is old enough to have sex legally so it is often old enough to go in the pill. What "license" do you think you need?

If you cant get them in your state, then talk to your pediatrician and have them talk to your mom.

• MissA

It depends where you live. In many states minors can get birth control without parental permission, in others they cannot.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/mi...

If you are fortunate enough to live in one of the states where it's possible you would go to a doctor and say "Yo. I want the pill." or order online through an e-pharma provider like Nurx or SimpleHealth. It's not hugely expensive, mostly, but you'll have to pay a fee for the initial consultation + some amount of money each month for the pill itself. If you opt to go somewhere IRL Planned Parenthood or another sexual health provider may be your cheapest bet.