Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 3 months ago

Why is it socially acceptable for women to live with they're parents, as adults, but the script is flipped for a man?

I'm noticing social biases that favor the women. Even though men are just as important (if not more important.)

Favorite Answer

I'm 29 and still live with my parents because I can't afford rent. I live in California which has the highest cost of living in the entire U.S. The rent here on average is $2,000-$3,500. If I were to move out of my parents house, there is no way I'd be able to make ends-met.

As for your question, I'm guessing it's because men are expect to be independent while women relying on a "depency" for survival. Women are known for their lack of independence and often depend on other for survival such as a husband, parents and the federal government.

For the overwhelming majority of human history women have dependent of their husbands for survival, this only changed in the mid-20th century which wasn't that long ago on historical terms.

• I'm 26 (going 27 this year) and still living with my parents. I don't care what people think about it.

You should feel so blessed that someone  Is there to help you  There Time so hard You are so blessed and you don't even know it no shame

It is immature for anyone past 18 that is not in school to be living with their parents.  If you are not in school at 18, you should be working and getting out of your parents house and on your own.

• Most entry level jobs can’t pay for housing as well as all other costs of living, especially if you don’t have a degree

• sian

Men are "just as important if not more important". I think you should work on your knowledge of people before you ask questions here.

Not for me. I'm 27 and still live with my parents. They want me to fully support myself but they won't kick me ojt

• Kowabunga

Nahh not at all. My parents arent those type of people. I don't pay car insurance either. But everything else like health insurance I pay

It depends on the culture.

• Bill

Because it's more acceptable for women to not have a career or a job. In fact, women don't really any economic exceptions placed on them. Of course, unlike you I don't find that to be a bad thing. 

• Bill

If anything society saying they expect more from men actually speaks towards a higher level of importance in society for men. 

You live in the wrong social group.

i like the way Ben Shaproo put it: What do you call a man that can sleep with any woman he wants? You call him "the man". what do you call a woman who can sleep with any man she wants? you call her "a typical woman".  if a woman is single into adulthood its clearly because of severe and pitiable mental illness. if a guy is single into adulthood it's because he's a loser that can't find a girlfriend. nobody else can afford food, clothes, and rent unless they live with parents or are in a relationship. 

• Sparky3 months agoReport

What about those guys that don't find women worthwhile by weighing the cost and risks? What if there really wasn't any girl worthwhile and they were all sexless golddiggers, would the guy still be a loser?