Should I get an associates or transfer a bit early?

Education in the United States is extremely expensive. I decided to go to my local community college after hearing a pediatric surgeon tell me he went to this same community college at first. My question is: What are the pros and cons of getting an associates rather than transferring credits to a larger university without the associates? My major is biology. I plan to move on to a 4-yr college immediately after the 2-yr college . How does transferring to a bachelor program differ with an associates vs about 50 credits?

It depends on the transfer agreements in place between the two schools to be honest. I went the same route (community college then university) and I chose to go head and get the associates because with an associates the school I was transferring to would honor all of the credits I received, and apply them toward my bachelors. Without the associates I would need to retake the entire chemistry series, and two of my electives would not count as credit at all (WASTE OF MONEY). So, in short, I would very carefully look at the rules for transferring credits between the two schools. Just because there is an agreement in place doesn't mean there aren't strings attached. 

ALSO many states have agreements whereby those with associates degrees are more readily accepted into their State Schools then those without when it comes time to transfer. They get in easier. 

• MS

An associate's is really useless if you plan to go on and complete a bachelor's degree.   You can transfer without an associate's.  An associate's is really only useful if it's in a very applied field, one that prepares you directly for a career (nursing, dental hygiene or assisting, vet tech, etc.).  General associate's degrees might help some people get a raise or a low-paying job that just requires a degree of any kind.  But they are not geared toward careers and don't mean anything at all when it comes to transferring.  

A community college is a good way of getting your general education credits out of the way at a lower cost.  If you are considering medicine, be aware that many medical schools do not accept community college math and science courses as their prerequisites.  You have to complete them at the 4-year college or university.  

• Laurie

You need not get an associates degree in order to transfer. Unless ALL the associate-degree classes are required for your four-year program, it would be a waste of time and money to get the associates degree.

You have more advantages at a university. To do internships and work directly won’t your biology professors.  You will be the new students.

By sophomore year my son in law was already helping his professor with their research, he had an internship lined up for junior year. 

You will need to complete your classes for your undergrad major and complete all your pre med requisite.  

You will find those classes much harder than anything you took at a community college. 

Yes this is the cheaper route, but not the best one to get into medical school. 

There is no reason to get the AA degree if your goal is to transfer. Transfer with your gen eds. You still need to do 2 years at the uni, regardless of how many credits are transferable, and if you are pre med, most of the science MUST be taken at the university level.

Source(s): PA

It is less expensive to go to a CC, and it is a good way to knock off mandatory "general education" course requirements; but here are a few disadvantages to CCs:

1. CCs are not as prestigious as 4 year institutions, and quite a few universities will reject credits from CCs.

2. You will miss the intangible benefit of staying on a residential campus and learning how to become an adult.

3. Most (NOT ALL) CC students are not as academically qualified nor disciplined as those who go to 4 year students - so you are competing with students who are not so hot.

4. My daughter completed a graduate-level pharmacy program taught at the U of IL in Chicago. She was admitted with no problem because she did her undergraduate work at the same university; but she told me that although the university claimed it would accept community college transfer students, EVERY student in her class came from a four year school, and ALL CC applicants were rejected.

Source(s): I worked for two Chicago-area community colleges, and what I have stated was generally acknowledged by faculty and administration.