How Christians fast?

Am I allowed to smoke while fasting? From what time to what time I have to fast? How many days of the year a Christian fast? What I’m allowed and not allowed to eat while fasting? I recently converted to Christianity and I’m seeing more answers also how can I get closer to god?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

1. Give up all food for a period of time. If your health and the weather permits, also give up drink. It doesn't have to be onerous. Just a couple of meals at a time. Donate the money you saved on food and drink for the welfare of the poor and the needy.

2. In my church, you're never allowed to smoke.

3. That all depends on which church you're talking about. Normally people in my church fast twelve times a year.

4. Get closer to God by obeying him, keeping his most recent commandments, and doing good to other people.

• Oleg
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

By focusing more on God by prayer, repentance of sins, helping others in need, reading of the Scriptures, and letting go of the things of this

world - entertainment, intimate relations between spouses, etc.

In the Christian Orthodox church - every wednesday and friday is a day of fast, when the above is done, and also abstaining from foods of animal origin - meat, eggs, fish, dairy products are not eaten.

Also there are longer fasts, when this extends for a couple of weeks, and even oil and wine are not used.

But this depends on the state of your health.

What is more important is the spiritual part of the fast.

Source(s): For mode details search on google orthodoxwiki Fasting
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

You set the parameters of your fast. You could fast from chocolate bars for a week if you wanted to. Some ministries do a corporate fast and only eat dinner in the evening and don't eat otherwise, only drink.

If you smoke I would strongly recommend that you get rid of that habit immediately. I smoked a pack and a half daily for a number of years and then quit cold turkey never to go back to it. There is a demon that is influencing you to smoke, and you must defeat him. It is not easy, I had to fight off that demon constantly for three months! Every time I was tempted to have a cigarette I would get angry and flick that demon off my left shoulder and say out loud "Get away from me! I am not going to smoke any more!"

Mat 10:37-38 [Yeshua speaking] Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Is Yeshua ("Jesus") the most important thing in your life? How much time do you spend with Him every day? Is He your friend?

Spend time every day singing (out loud) praise and worship songs... these songs should mention the blood of Jesus, the cross, and/or attributes of the character and nature of God. Here are a few of my favorites (you can set it to shuffle play so they play in random order):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2kjGV_3m9r...

Spend time in prayer every day (praying out loud). Here are prayers I say every day. Modify them as you see fit for your situation and circumstances:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m34ecgvn4amoduh/Daily%20...

Spend time every day reading your Bible (reading out loud). I use the E.S.V. but the King James (not the "New" King James) is the most accurate translation as it is the ONLY translation that uses the Textus Receptus manuscripts.

Praying in tongues is probably the most important thing I have learned to do. Learn to pray in tongues, and pray in tongues for at least an hour every evening before going to bed. Since I started doing this I have had numerous dreams, visions, and even encounters with Yeshua. Here is a document I put together to help people understand and get started:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pibf1bwoqmoo74/Pray%20i...

Here is some "soaking" music to listen to while praying or reading - it is important to pray and read out loud, there is power in the spoken word:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2kjGV_3m9r...

• A Christian should not smoke, it's a defilement of the body, is not loving to those around the smoker, and is disrespectful of the life God gives us and can cut short the time we give service to God.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

There are many kinds of fasting. One can fast totally, eating and drinking nothing for a day except water. Or, any number of less complete fasting. Fasting from meat. Fasting from desserts. Fasting from one meal, and eating only two on a given day.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

You can't smoke or drink alcohol while fasting. You can do partial fast for food like to eat 1/2 meals a day. You can fast other things like social media also. It really depends between you and God of when or how your fast lasts. It will deepen your relationship with God and you will know Him more as long as you do His will.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

What are you fasting for?  For what reason?  It is not required.  And you can smoke if you want.  And Jesus is God, and to get close to Jesus, believe in Jesus and His word, the Bible.  That simple.  Fasting is only if you're seeking the Lord about something.  Not doing it just to do it. 

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

• Sean
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

If you want to get closer to God, just dig into his word. Don't rely so much on the people telling you what to believe or what not to believe. It is best to get a firsthand account of God and what he expects of you before you hear any third-party information. This can help keep you from being deceived by false teachers or people who are just laying on self-righteous restrictions on you so as to make you serve them or perceive them as more holy than you. Keep away from that!

You have been given liberality in your service of Christ. Do what your heart desires to do to serve him. If you feel you want to cut out cigarettes, go for it. There is no law over your head anymore--just what God has commanded of you. To trust his Son whom he sent and to turn from your sins.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Moving up in the world are you?  What a joke! You are close to your imaginary sky wizard that lives in your head, how much closer can you get?  

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

*How DO Christians fast?

I grow tired of missing or misplaced adverbs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.