Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 months ago

Why did Paleolithic people paint pictures of their hands on cave walls?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Fred
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

They did it by  placing pigments in their mouth and spiting the pigment on the cave surface holding the hand still leaving a 'negative' stencil  image of the hand.  The more advanced placed pigment on the wall and (may) reduced the pigment by pain snakingly wetting and removing pigment providing a 'positive' image of the hand. Easier is the two tone hand print placing pigment on the wall and then placing hand against wall using a different colored pigment allowing a 'positive' colored image of the hand.

If you have raised children they will  early do a tracing of the non dominate hand with a pencil. .. It's something like that, only involving an adult.  What I find amazing it that all three methods of making an image of the hand are displayed on one wall.. so they must have developed all three means of 'stenciling' the hand image very rapidly! 

• JASON
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

I agree with the others who say people wanted to leave something of themselves after they had gone. Often people say it was a teaching tool used for hunting, which although not impossible, to me seems strange. Basically throw your spear and hit the body, you don't need a drawing to tell someone this.

• Dj2541
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

They  didnt have  selfie  sticks??

• 8 months ago

Palaeolithic selfies. Gronk was here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Why do people carve their initials or "Sam was here" into the neighborhood park bench?

• 8 months ago

maybe they wanted others to know who was there

• 8 months ago

Recent studies have shown that these "paintings" are actually patches of fossilised lichen that just happen to be in the shape and size of human hands. It's just one of those amazing historical coincidences.

• 8 months ago

Because they didn't have cameras.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.