Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Does God have a Name?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

“It Is Jehovah Your God You Must Worship”​—Matthew 4:10

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship Jehovah your God and serve him only.'" Luke 4:8

Fear Jehovah your God, serve Him, and take your oaths using only His name. Deuteronomy 6:13

You are to fear Jehovah your God and serve Him. Hold fast to Him and take your oaths in His name. Deuteronomy 10:20

But Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship Jehovah your God and serve Him only.’” Luke 4:8

Submit yourselves therefore to Jehovah. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7

• ...Show all comments
    • The Darrener
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

instead of Yahweh. The incorrect hybrid, 'Jehovah,' arose from Christian misunderstanding in the late Middle Ages."(Harper's Bible Dictionary) 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

According to Psalm 138:2, He apparently has more than one name that he's known by

• 2 months ago

Yes, he has many names and titles. They include...

Elohim

Endless

Eternal

Man of Holiness

Man of Counsel (now you know why Jesus kept calling himself the son of The Man, or the son of God).

None of them is Jehovah. That's his son and creation, Jesus Christ.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All gods are myths and there are thousands of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Jehovah find an old King James Bible and go to Exodus 6:3, Ps.83:18, Isa. 12:2,26:4, see jw.org for more

• ...Show all comments
    • The Darrener
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

instead of Yahweh. The incorrect hybrid, 'Jehovah,' arose from Christian misunderstanding in the late Middle Ages."(Harper's Bible Dictionary) 

• Terry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yes. You can find his name in any Bible in which it has not been systematically removed. Even most that have removed his name make that admission somewhere in the appendix.

“I am Jehovah. That is my name.” (Isaiah 42:8)

Do You Know And Use God's Name?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/wp20141201...

• ...Show all comments
    • The Darrener
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

H to remind readers to pronounce Adonai instead of Yahweh. The incorrect hybrid, 'Jehovah,' arose from Christian misunderstanding in the late Middle Ages."(Harper's Bible Dictionary) 

• 2 months ago

Yes, I AM.

Exo 3:13  Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” 

Exo 3:14  God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” 

Jesus more than once called himself "I AM" and the Jews tried to stone him for blasphemy (Jn 8:58).

Although it can be thought of in a sense as a "name" (Ps 83:18), "Yahweh" was more thought of by the ancients as a respectful term for "Lord".  That's why although the term was used since the beginning (Gen 4:1), Moses still asked what God's name was.  They didn't recognize it as a name.  And God did NOT answer him, "Silly Moses, you already know what my name is, it's 'Jehovah'", but rather "I AM".  This may explain why the inspired writers, when translating OT names, transliterated every one of them except for one, the Hebrew YHWH which they translated as the Greek "kyrios" which means "lord" (Ac 2:34-35; Ps 110:1).

• 👀 🚶
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

You didn't add the context. Here it is:

"God also said to Moses, 'Say to the Israelites, 'Jehovah, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' 'This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation."

• Old-un
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes. his name is Jehovah i English, some use Yahweh, sadly many translations have removed the divine name including the new KJV where it was found at Ps 83:18.

• 2 months ago

Psalm 83:18 States : May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, I think the writers gave him the name of Yeewah or something like that. 

• 2 months ago

Yes, as GOD declare His Holy Name in Al Quran as ALLAH.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.