What stands out for medical schools in an applicant? Do engineering majors have a lower advantage due to their GPAs?

I received an admission offer to study electrical engineering at the University of Colorado, Boulder. The news of this offer was very surreal for me because I was told that the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is the most selective. This excitement was short-lived when I found out that at the same time, the graduation GPA for engineers at this school was a 2.84 for 2019 and 2.79 for 2018. For Fall 2019 the middle 50th percentile of accepted people had a 3.89-4.00 and the middle 50th percentile was a 1310-1480. This school literally takes in very bright kids and then deflates their grades in hard engineering courses.

If I plan on going to med school is engineering going to hurt me?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

If you get bad grades as an engineering major, then yes, that will hurt your chances of being accepted into medical school.  If you do well in your classes as an engineering major, then it will look very good on your medical school applications.  

It sounds like you need to decide whether you want to be an engineer or a doctor.

Deflategate 2019

Medical schools tend to look for very high GPAs and MCAT scores.  Without those, ones chances of admission are very slim.