Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

I got kicked out of an ivy league school. What now?

This post will probably come off very bitter and it's because that's how I feel.

I'm in my second year at an ivy league school and I just received an email saying I've been withdrawn from the school because of my GPA.

I'm very very concerned. I've been bed-ridden sick for most of the semester and I knew I wouldn't do well in my courses. My adviser said I would be put on some kind of improvement plan but apparently that didn't happen.

My GPA is too low to transfer anywhere and on top of that, I have to still pay a portion of tuition for the rest of the year even though I won't be here. I can't afford it and I will end up being $30k in debt to pay it off.

I hate the school. I went in excited to become a doctor and all I ended up was being very sick most of the time and severely mentally ill. People tell me I sound like I'm going crazy and I think I am. It's like this school chewed me up and spit me out and now I don't see a future for myself.

I don't have anything to go back to. I come from a very small town and my family is poor. I don't want to put the burden of my health or future on my mom and I don't want to worry my little siblings when they see how I'm really doing.

I feel stuck. I don't know what to do. I don't want to be alive anymore. I've never hated anything as much as I hate this school before.

• Lili

Ivy League schools offer excellent financial aid to poor students. I didn't come from a rich family, but I received very generous aid from two Ivy schools. At Harvard, if your family income is below a certain level, you can attend for free.  They don't even make students take out loans any longer as part of their financial aid packages.

And they would never kick you out if you've been sick all semester.  They might want you to withdraw temporarily until you received treatment and recovered, but what you describe simply would not happen.

There is so much wrong with this "question" that I have to conclude you are a troll. You've never been anywhere near an Ivy League school.

I have no idea sorry 

do some soul-searching become a dishwasher for a while

Did you tell the school about any of the issues you were having with your health BEFORE this issue happened?

Generally schools will try to help; but they can only do so if they know there's a problem.

Jiffy Lube has great career opportunities.

YAY!!!! You are finally going to LEARN SOMETHING! College is HUGE waste of time money and effort.

College is OBSOLETE. There are SO MANY WAYS to LEARN EVERYTHING. Much of it ONLINE. Trade schools...where you learn ACTUAL SKILLS...

You should never have gone in the first place. Unless you want to be an engineer, lawyer or physician...FORGET IT.

Go to a COMMUNITY COLLEGE if you "insist"...and PAY as you GO. Get the PRELIMINARIES out of the way. Then...as a graduate...go to the "ivy" leagues and become that DOCTOR or ENGINEER...(we have too many lawyers). Nobody really cares where you go...they just want you to be COMPETENT at your JOB.

Stop blaming the school. You had a significant opportunity & did not rise to the occasion. Ivies are extremely demanding. As soon as you fell ill, you needed to withdraw from school for medical reasons - take a leave of absence. This would have protected you from failing your classes & getting the boot. Your mistake. Pay your bills & move on. You will only be able to move on when you take full responsibility for your own mistaken actions here.

Sorry but why didn’t you officially withdraw? If you had been diagnosed your doctor would of provided your school with documentation. You could of gotten a medical leave for the semester. If you weren’t doing well last year, you shouldn’t of come back. You did have choices.

See what you could still do with medical documentation. 

If you signed up for classes for next semester make sure you are officially dropped out. In writing. 

Family can help. It is ok for your mother and siblings to worry and help you out. Go back home and get your health in order. Then visit the local CC. You can recover your gpa there

"I have to still pay a portion of tuition for the rest of the year  . . . "

That can't be true. If you are not enrolled in any classes, they can't charge tuition. You'll pay for this semester but not next. Make sure you officially withdraw from the university and drop any classes you may have signed up for next semester, and inform housing that you will no longer be living there. 

You can look into a (retroactive) medical withdrawal for your classes this semester. Get a note from your doctor that you are physically (and/or mentally) unable to attend class and complete assignments. You'll still have to pay tuition for this semester, but it won't end up looking like a bunch of Fs (or WFs) on your transcript. 

If your GPA is too low for transfer, then start taking classes at your local community college. Get As in everything. The CC classes will be much easier than your Ivy League classes, I assure you from personal experience. After four semesters, you can transfer to a state college or university via the CC's transfer program. 

• .

If you were bed-ridden and sick for most of the semester, you should have withdrawn.