Anonymous

Going to college at 20 years old, worried I won’t know enough information.?

So I turned 20 years old in July and was in the USAF which I had joined a year after graduating high school. Unfortunately, I have a condition which existed prior to service that was permanently worsened due to service leading to my retirement. Yes I meant retirement. Long story short I was sent back home to mom and dad because I had nowhere else to go and quite frankly didn’t know what to do. I was only in a year and a half and finished my final two months on leave (vacation time) back at home to regather myself. Now I just officially retired as of two months ago and am already going to school come January. I just got accepted into the university I wanted and am really excited to start the next chapter....although I’m a bit worried. I have been out of school for over two years now and was never the smartest kid on the block. I’m worried that I will not know anything, as in my mind is just blank and has given up on working out mathematical equations, writing essays etc...due to me not doing any of that for a while. Can anyone tell me or give me pointers on what college life at a university will be like? Possible classroom difficulties? Struggling to pick up information as quick as the others because of the lack of recent study? I’m just nervous. More nervous than joining the USAF to be quite honest. 

I am using the post 9/11 GI Bill so I HAVE to pass and do well. My major is going to be psychology(I know pointless major) I plan on taking it to the masters level if I like it. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Okay, so were not the greatest student in the world to begin with. But clearly, you did well enough that your first choice university believes you can do the work & graduate. Okay, you've been out of school a couple of years & think you forgot a lot (math skills tend to be first to go if you don't use them). But others are out of school for a decade or more & catch up.

It's called "Buyer's Remorse," getting what you want then having doubts, second-guessing yourself. Happens often throughout adulthood: when you buy a new car, buy a house, start a job you've busted your butt to get - or go off to college. It's a form of fear, and can even be a bit of panic.

So you go to school, bust your butt. Sure, you're going to have to do a bit of catch up, but even a fresh high school grad has to up their game to make the leap to college-level work. Visualize your Black Cloud of fear, blow it away, & go to school. If you want it, go after it & you can do it. Certainly the school thinks you can.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Get professional essay writing services from http://essaysshop.com

• 1 month ago

You will do fine and your experience in the Air Force will be a tremendous help. Doing badly or failing at college is due to poor time management for the majority of students who crash and burn. The trick is to begin projects as soon as possible, same day you get the assignment if possible and finish them early which usually translates to being done on time. If you do that you will be fine. Most students (especially lower division) wait as long as they think they can before beginning a project. Then something comes up causing delays but, at that point, they have no time for any delays. It's hard to understand that those delays don't come up from time to time. They come up ALL THE TIME. It's all about time management and getting thing done as early as possible and you'll be fine.

• 1 month ago

Dear friend, 

You will definitely find it enchanting and enthralling. 20 years is not a weakness, but a strength. Because you become so mature. Never be haunted by negative thoughts. Go ahead with a positive bent of mind. YOU ARE BORN TO WIN. And you will.

The college life will take you to higher echelons of achievement and delight. Consider every problem as an opportunity offered to substantiate your skills. Always keep a smiling face. Success is yours.With best wishes 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Relax you'll adjust.

• Lv 7
    1 month ago

When you go into a class, you are learning new material. So they don't expect you to already know the information. Otherwise you wouldn't need the class if you already knew the topic. You could ask the professor if there are any topics you should understand before enrolling in the class, if you are worried about that. Also you can ask what the book and readings will be so that you can get a head start a few weeks before classes begin. The main thing though is that you attend every class and absorb the new material each week.

• 1 month ago

Make an appointment with a counselor.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I dropped out of college. My advice is college is very hard and you have to be motivated in order to succeed. Be prepared to write long essays and study for hours for exams. If your not motivated then you won't get very far. I suggest maybe going to community college first to see if you even like it. I had a friend that went to a university and dropped out and know has 60k debt to pay off without a degree.

• 1 month ago

Study for the math placement exam.

I went back to college at age 39, 12 years since I had been graduated from law school and 20 years since I had taken a math class (Calculus 2). I tested into pre-calculus. I got easy As in precalculus and Calculus 241, and a not-quite-so-easy-but-still-a-solid A in Calculus 242. 

• 1 month ago

In university they start from th very basics and explain everything so dont worry. Eventhough I didnt take a gap I was nervous of this and its very easy and they provide a lot of help so dont worry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.