Water leaks out of the popcorn ceiling. (Asbestos related)?

The apartment I live in was built in 1973.

A week ago water began to leak from the upper floors.

As a result, my bathroom popcorn ceiling was broken like that in the first photo.

I hurriedly wiped away the popcorn ceiling pieces with a damp cloth.

Now is the same state as the second picture.

I went to the office a week ago and asked for repairs, and I checked my restroom the day before.

They told me they would be back soon for repair.

Is there a chance of asbestos spills in the meantime?

I am afraid of it.

Favorite Answer

No asbestos there most likely.  It was not used EVERYWHERE.  LOOKS MORE LIKE GUM or a goober.  As you only got 1 photo, I can''t guess.  Nothing to worry about. It is not radioactive.  Miners have worked in mines for 25 years with no protection and came out just fine...with NO illnesses related to asbestos.  They even smoked while mining.  Sometimes it is just Better to be just dumb and ignorant.  Less worries.

• I care

If you are sure of asbestos go ahead and have it checked by a professional or again check with your office to do this immediately ......I've seen on HGTV, there is different levels of this asbestos. 

I understand why you don't want to breath in something that could possibly be there.

Look up on line on what asbestos causes etc.  what one has to do to be safer or move in with family until this is fixed completely.  Good luck.  

Go back and tell them you want a new ceiling. They can do the whole thing for a little bit more than a repair.

Even if there were asbestos in the ceiling, it WOULD NOT be an issue if wet. Asbestos is only a problem when airborne. Getting it wet actually ELIMINATES the risk.

not very likely. 'popcorn' ceiling didn't use asbestos in the popcorn.

• boy boy

they did use asbestos ..about 5%  ..but its nor the really dangerous stuff 

• P

1.  Most material does not contain asbestos so if you did not specifically test for it then you can't assume it's there.

2.  Asbestos is perfectly safe when wet or contained within a material.  It's only of concern when physically cutting into it and the Asbestos dust gets in the air.  

• P

That is correct.  The only concern would be if the repair guys come in and start cutting up your ceiling spreading dust around.