What are the benefits of rooftop solar panels?

• Bill-M

Rooftop solar panels have two uses.   Produce Electricity and heat water.

I have 14 Panels on the roof of my house.  12 Panels are used to produce Electricity and what I don't use in my home is sent to the Grid and I get money for the power I produce.   The other two panels don't produce Electricity but have water lines passing through them to heat water.   I don't have an electric or gas hot water heater.   My Hot water is FREE.   and since having the panels on the roof, I haven/t paid a cent for electricity, they pay me.

• Clive

What does this have to do with astronomy and space?

They work a lot better than solar panels you keep in the basement.

They collect energy that you can use that otherwise would just be lost as heat to the environment.  Not all that great here in the great white north though, where about half the year there is snow up on the roof that would bury them.

Natural electricity. Can also save money.

Ommm

They provide shadow to the roof so doesn't absorb so much heat.

Part of engineering a system.

If you live in a warm ,sunny climate, have no shade and your roof points towards the sun, then each square metre of solar panelling will generate an average of around 300 watts per hour of sunshine -- say 1 KWhr per 2 1/2 sq mtrs during the hours of sunshine .

You'll have to decide how many panels you need -- and how much your power saving could be compared with the cost ,and life, of the installation.  

there are none. between the cost of the panels and all the other electronics that will never last long enough to pay for themselves you are better off staying with regular electricity

Transfer solar heat into power, friendly to environment.