Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 8 months ago

Life support?

My father had a heart attack, the ER did CPR for 30 mins got a pulse back, he went to ICU, the advised he was gone too long and would have brain damage and recommend taking off life support, it took me 6 hours to decided I agreed he then passed 3 hours after they disconnected everything. 

Now I can’t stop questioning if I did not give his body long enough to try to heal, should I have asked more questions, what could have been done differently and then in ER they said when they got his pause back they asked him a question and he moved his head so maybe there was that..

Medical professionals is it common for someone to lose brain activity after 30 mins of CPR and how will I even be okay with my choice to remove life support. 

Favorite Answer

30 minutes of CPR is a very very long time, with poor oxygenation to the brain, and a massive heart attack like that also means cardiac muscle death. They do not recommend withdrawal of support lightly. You did the right call. We can interrupt death but not really negate it. He passed before the CPR actually, you just got some time to say goodbye. Its never easy but he would never have been your known father again. Grieve, but do not assume you did the wrong thing. Condolences

Source(s): ER PA

Five years ago I had to make the choice to pull the plug on my Mother. She had pneumonia and her Co2 levels were off the charts. The Doctor told me there was no bringing her back from it. As much as it hurt I knew it was the right thing to do for her. Till this day I think what if. But in reality it would have been harder to see her in a nursing home. It would have been a life of misery for all. 

So I can tell you this. If you love your Father and wanted him to be at Peace you did the right thing. It sucks at times to be a Responsible Adult. It down right Hurts even. But it beats watching someone suffer for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps ease your mind. 

Source(s): Been there done that

Those things don't 'heal', you merely allowed his body to pass on

• TedEx

You made the right move, and, please, don't go around questioning yourself. Even if by some remote chance he would have lived, he would have been brain-damaged, unable to care for himself or even recognize people around him.

And neither you or he would have wanted that

Brain damage is not brain death.  And brain death by the way was invented by Harvard Medical School for the sole purpose of organ procurement.  You were basically duped into thinking that damage to the brain means death to the brain.

Well, you can never fully get the answers you want to feel comfortable with the decision.

You did the best you could at the time. That's all you can do.

Let time heal the grief.

The fact that when your father was removed from life support that he died tells you that his brain was so damaged that his autonomic nervous system was so destroyed that he could not possibly have existed without life support that indicates severe brain damage. If your father had continued to live after they took him off of life support then there's the possibility that he could have functioned and talked and understood people but that doesn't mean that he would have done anything except be confined to a wheelchair and have the intelligence of a three-year-old. That was totally the right decision.

• Mr. P

It's a tough decision and I understand you are second-guessing your choices. This is normal.

There was not much hope for long term survival after this time, and at the most he would have just stayed on life support or had another heart attack.

Sometimes when the body gives up it is just best to let it go.

Sorry for your loss, but maybe better this way than months or years of serious ill health and not knowing when the next heart attack may happen.

It sounds like you made the right call by allowing him to die naturally. After 30 minutes with no pulse, he would not have been himself anymore ...just a "shell" of a person with no quality of life.

Death is never the worst outcome. People suffer so much more when their families can't manage to let go.