why does the octopus have 8 tentacles? ?

whyy? why not 6, or 10?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • CRR
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If it had 6 it would be a Hexapus and if it had 10 it would be a Decapus.

• 8 months ago

Because seven would just look silly.

• 8 months ago

the it would either be a sestipus or a decipus

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I had an octopus once and it has two arms that are right beneath the eyes that it uses under most hunting situations.  The other six arms are all useful too particularly after catching large prey.  The reason for 8 is probably that 6 would allow only 4 extra after the two main arms and 10 would leave the arms too thin and not strong enough.  I have watched the octopus reach out with one of its arms and catch a fish with one sucker at the time and play the fish like a fisherman and then reel it in and eat it.   They are really amazing predators and there is very little that is safe around them, be they little, big or armored.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

An octopus has arms, not tentacles.

It has eight because it evolved with eight. That may be all that evolution produced. Perhaps individuals with other numbers of arms went through natural selection and were found wanting so became extinct.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Because, they need exactly 8 in order to properly walk and swim good

• 8 months ago

Or why not 7-1/2?  Or 6-3/4?  Nature is strange.

• 8 months ago

Same reason we have ten fingers, we evolved that way.

• 8 months ago

Actually, they have no tentacles, they have 8 arms and all a matter of evolutionary adaptation and genetics.

Squid have 2 tentacles an 8 arms.

I had to learn all this in keeping a pet octopus

• 8 months ago

Why do insects have 6 legs. You left out the other options of 5,7,  9 or 11. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.