Would it be weird if I worked as a Dental Assistant while going to school for Mental Health counseling?

Just so I have a job while in school?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It should technically be okay to do that, but it's my understanding that a lot of dentists either prefer or require the dental assistant to have his or her license and have graduated from an ADA-accredited dental assistant program.

If you're not currently a licensed or registered dental assistant and have never gone to school for DA, then please first do some job shadowing (with prior staff approval), especially before taking pre-req classes and/or applying to such a program.  Just an fyi that dental assistant schooling will include a lot of studying and learning, which usually includes a dental assistant externship of hands-on experience with actual patients.

Perhaps you may also consider perusing some dental textbooks, such as through the local community college library that offers DA (or dental hygienist) and/or the local medical-dental school library.  Some patients may have severe dental disease, which may be difficult for certain individuals to handle.

With regard to the field of counseling (or social work and/or nursing), please be aware that it's supposed to have a high burn-out rate.  Also, most jobs in counseling either prefer or require those with a master's degree, such as with the credentials of LPC (licensed professional counselor) or LMHC (licensed mental health counselor).

For more general career info:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ and can search "substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors," "dental assistants," or whichever other career that piques one's interest.

With regard to schooling (for any field), please forgo those for-profit schools.  Their course credits usually do *not* transfer to other schools, even if the for-profit school is regionally accredited.

The local community college and/or the state-public university is usually a lot more affordable (and perhaps reputable) than those for-profit schools.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's perfectly OK to have a job doing one thing while going to school for another.

• 1 month ago

U wanna be my ally

• 1 month ago

If you want to work as a dental assistant or dental technician or dental hygienist, stick with it. You may earn more with that than with mental health counseling. Likely better job opportunities, too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not at all.  You can work any job.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.