Goji Fan asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 months ago

Is Krav Maga training once a week enough to learn self defense?

I do StrongLifts 5x5 three days a week and HIIT sprints one day a week. I want to limit Krav Maga training to one class a week so it doesn't interfere with my weight lifting. Is this enough to learn self defense?

Favorite Answer

Ever see the movie KARATE KID? It is not just knowing the movements, it is repeating the motions over and over until they become second nature, so you do them without a lot of thought. Sure, you can take the class once a week but you need to practice what you learned 3-4 times a week for at least 15 minutes each time.

Probably not.  There's a huge difference between knowing a few stances and moves that you can perform in slow motion in a controlled environment and actually being able to defend yourself.

Martial arts takes lots and lots and lots of practice.  Just like weight training -- if you only did that once a week, would you expect to see results?  

• Alpha

No. Self-defense is a skill. Have you acquire any useful skills in the past training just once a week? You need to decide what takes priority.

• It'll be more than nothing.