Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

When chicken brands say "made with white meat" - what is the appeal supposed to be?

Isn't white meat typically more dry and less flavorful than dark meat? Why boast about having a dryer and less flavorful cut of meat? Is the appeal based on white meat being healthier or something?

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Yes.  The appeal is that with less fat in it, it's supposed to be "healthier".  And a whole breast looks "nicer" on the plate.

But if "healthy food" means it doesn't taste as good, and that's very often true, give me a leg any time and spare me a dry and stringy breast.  It's only a little fattier and that's not going to kill you, and meanwhile you get a tastier dinner BECAUSE being a little fattier does that to it.

The bonus is that with breast being more fashionable, it costs more.  So I buy thighs - cheaper AND tastier.  And for those who don't like doing any butchery, there are chicken thigh fillets - no skin or bone.  Boning thighs is a skill that takes time and needs a sharp knife but I don't mind doing it, or cooking it on the bone adds a bit to flavour 

The white meat is leaner, [lower in fat] and therefore lower calorie than red meat.   

• denise

A lot of people like 'chicken breast' white meat, probably leaner / healthier?

• CB

White is much leaner than dark.