Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 8 months ago

Standing up for myself had hurt my relationships?

I have a full time job and some side gigs. My nephew who is 16 yelled and tried forcing me to teach him my side gigs. I said no. One because I don’t want to work with family and two I don’t feel like it. Now he ignores me? I stood up for myself and did what’s best but others don’t like that? How do you handle it?

• Mikey
    Favorite Answer

If I did something I know was right for me, everyone else can go pound salt.

and so what, if he ignores you?

• Alan H

Why ask us? You did what you felt best 

"I don’t want to work with family and two I don’t feel like it". Is this doing what's best? Best for you in the short term, perhaps, but for your family? Unless what you mean by side gigs is immoral or illegal. Posting this anonymously does little for your credibility.

• Linda

Well he's 16 and he probably wanted some of your attention and feels hurt that you told him no. Can you teach him one or two things and then say that you don't like to work with family due to arguing and it is nothing personal? Encourage him to try some side gigs on his own and let him know you feel that he will be successful in his own right.

He'll get over it. No one should be trying to force you to do anything you don't want to.