Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 3 months ago

Is it considered molestation if it was a 3 year age gap? (I was 6, they were 9)?

I’ve been grappling with this question ever since I told my family what happened to me. My cousin, who was 9 at the time, I was 6, used to molest me as a child. I believe this to have caused harm to me mentally to the point where I’ve needed therapy to overcome it.

When I finally told my guardian what happened to me now that I’m adult, their first response was that “he’s only 3 years older than you?” 

As if that makes it not molestation. After I told my family this, the person who did this to me continued to be invited to family gatherings, his pictures still hung on my guardians walls, as if nothing ever happened.

Do you view this person as a predator if the age gap wasnt drastic?    

• Ocimom

Doesn't matter what the age gap was.  He was older then you and he molested you.

You do know that putting his hand down between your legs would be considered assault but putting his finger in your vagina would be rape so I don't know what molestation would be.

I don't think I would consider him a predator just a kid who was too curious, probably heard some older boys talking about it.

How old are you and how does he treat you? Are you black or white or of some other color?

Remove his picture yourself ask why this rapist is invited  during next gathering

• Tj

See a therapist.

At 9 your cousin wasn't old enough to understand what sex is any more than you were at 6. This wasn't molestation. 

No such thing as an acceptable age gap when it comes to sex crime, which being molested is. Any sexual activity below the legal age is illegal and considered either rape or sexual assault.

Obviously it was not right what he did, but he was only nine. Adults

can't

really be held responsible for things they did at nine, can they?

childhood experimentation is common

• Cathy

That is not molestation.    You wanted it.

Source(s): Bill Clinton.
  • Phil

so what did he do to you exactly ?