Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 8 months ago

Do you stop taking blood pressure pills eventually or is it for life?

I was diagnosed with Hypertension over a year ago and have been taking it regularly since. When I do forget or stop for a few days, my blood pressure spikes back up to 170/110.

So is there any hope that I can someday stop needing it or is it for life?

If you lose weight and change your diet you can stop taking them ONLY under a doctors care. You can not just stop taking them, you have to gradually stop taking them.  I work in healthcare and know.

My father was in a similar situation, I told him to start drinking matcha every morning so that he can stop taking his blood pressure medication because matcha will regulate your weight and blood pressure.  However, consult with your physician because if you take things that don't do well with caffeine, this may not be the route for you.  

If it was borderline you might have been able to tail off under a doctor's supervision, usually after a diet/fitness change and, if needed, weight loss. However, your blood pressure is extremely high so it is unlikely that you will be able to go off the meds.

Much of it probably depends on the reasons you developed it in the first place!

If you live a sedentary lifestyle and you eat a lot of junk fast food, sugar, and eat very little fruit and vegetables chances are you will keep the hypertension! Drinking alcohol doesn't help either!

You should be discussing these things with your doctor and coming up with a plan to help you reduce your blood pressure naturally

If your BP is 170/110 do not stop taking your BP meds & do not start drinking "more water" & eating "more salt" in lieu of your meds! 

You do not want to wind up like fat Donnie Trump who recently had a heart attack while doing fat lines!

Hypertension is caused by not drinking enough water.

The "salt causes high blood pressure" theory promoted by the medical profession is not true and is against the laws of physics.

We do get too much salt in processed foods, they do have this much right. But because there is no place where the body can store nutrients for future use, the body uses what it needs and discards the rest.

It does this with salt, too. Whenever you lose water (kidney function, thermoregulation) you lose salt as well. And just like the water, salt has to be replaced also.

The reason the body holds onto the extra salt from processed food is that people don't drink the water they should, and the salt is meant to retain water from food as its only other option to get the water it needs to protect the cells.

Based on the laws of physics, if you eliminate the cause of a health problem the problem will go away on its own. Thus, when doctors tell their patients to avoid salt, the blood pressure should go back to normal - there should be no need for medication. So if doctors need to prescribe medication in spite of avoiding salt, then it proves that salt is not the problem.

The problem is not drinking enough water (and/or drinking water substitutes. "Fluids" and water are not the same and they don't function the same in the body).

You just need to increase your water intake to a minimum of eight 8-ounce glasses of water spread throughout the day.

You should also be using more salt (1/8 tsp per 16-oz of water). But at this point, you don't want to use salt because you already have an abundance of salt in your body.

When you properly hydrate the body the blood pressure will go back to normal. Do not stop taking any medications when you do this. Because water (and salt) is naturally needed by the body it is compatible with all medications.

Taking you off or reducing your medications is your doctor's job, and he will when he sees that you no longer need them.

I'm trying a better diet.. and not that dumb DASH diet. That's pretty unhealthy if you ask me. They ask people to eat refined oils, and foods loaded with sugars (canned fruit... why? low fat milk? no, and they even suggested fruit juice which means a person might as well just eat sugar from the sugar bowl).

My blood pressure was 183/123 at the highest. It's worrying. My meds aren't helping much at all, either

I found that there was a complicated relationship between my blood pressure, my weight, and the amount of exercise I was getting.  I was able to get off the blood pressure pills by exercising and keeping my weight down at the lower healthy limit for my height.

There is a chance you may not need them later but I don't know how likely it is.  

• Tulip

It's forever