Shu Qing asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 9 months ago

What snacks should I buy for my friend in China?

I live in the US and I am going to visit my friend in China next year. I want to get American exclusive snacks for him to try.

Hello,

Do you know what your friend likes to eat? You can try buying from local shops or maybe some products that are exclusive to your area? For example, if there is a local specialty, such as jam, wine, nuts, salmon, chocolate, you can buy some for him.

The US has a lot of interesting and weird flavors and snacks (example, Cheez-It pizza from Pizza Hut) that might not taste the best, but are unique to the US.

Things that might be harder to buy overseas would be:

- Candy corn

- Flavored coffee

- Chex mix

- Airheads candy

- Tootsie roll

- Laffy taffy

- Butter fingers

- Cheetos (and flaming cheetos)

- Pop tarts

- Any non-original flavors of snacks (exampes: birthday cake Oreo, biscuits and gravy Lays chips, Sriracha-flavored popcorn)

Potatoe chips.  Coke / pepsi.  you need to learn to read chinese. china needs to use the Alphabet for writing .   no nation on earth uses the ugly characters for writing

Chocolate-covered lima beans.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

Catch a Falling Star: http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html

What about Chinese food, like a dog and a cat or an Asian, a Persian and a Russian.

They have Wal-Mart in China, so all the things AJ listed are available there. And cheaper than they are here. It would be far better to take something locally made. There's a chocolate company in my town, and we usually take chocolates from it as gifts when we go to other countries. 

• A.J.

Teddy Grahams, Cheetos, 100 Grand Bars, Cheez-Its, Pop-Tarts, Air Heads, Combos, many of the Oreo flavors, Butterfinger, Some potato chip flavors such as Lay’s Biscuits and Gravy Potato Chips, Chex Mix, Hostess Cupcakes, Reese’s Cups, Peanut Butter M&Ms, Nutter Butters, Jell-O, Lucky Charms, Twinkies

I worked with people from China and visited a few cities.

This was about 15 to 20 years ago.

At that time, they were exporting a lot of pepper grinders (and peppercorns), but rarely used them in China. Also, real maple syrup and real maple sugar candy was very rare at the time and very appreciated. There is now some production in China and they do import it now, but you might ask your friend about these two things.

Do not bring any meat products.

Do not bring any live plants.

If you actually bring maple syrup it is packed in checked luggage rather than carry-on and I do not know if there would be import restriction on it.

In China, they will find most of the American snacks too salty and too sweet in general. If you bring maple syrup or sugar candy, it should be real, and not artificial, and your choice of Vermont USA or Canada produced, check the label.

They also like any locally made gifts ad check the label, though University and sports team products often are China produced, they don't tend to sell them there.

If you are in school, do they sell items with your school name?

Take local photographs and videos if you never sent any.

People in China are much more interested in personal things and places than American people are. We don't care about your school shirt, but usually they are very interested.

Twinkie’s ..... ., . 

Get a box of See's candy - a big box.

• Wilson

They eat dog in China. 

So, 

A can of dog stew.