Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 9 months ago

Any recommendations on how we can have our voices heard? we fear retaliation with our work hours if we speak up ?

I'm currently a waiter, and our management keep saying we make "a lot" of money, therefore they keep adding more work to our duties. Including work that is meant for other areas/titles.

It has come to the point that they we feel overwhelmed with the amount of work we have to do.

Any recommendations on how we can have our voices heard? we fear retaliation with our work hours if we speak up 

Update:

in California, USA

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Get a group of employees together and make sure you are all in agreement and all singing from the same  hymn sheet. Make sure there is enough of you  to make the management sit up and take notice.

Tell them that you all don't  mind hard work  and that you appreciate that you are paid well but you ALL believe that  the workload is too high, mistakes are bound to happen and most importantly customer service is starting to deteriorate. 

Do not turn it into a slanging match or bun fight. Do not whine, moan or turn it into a them and us spat. Don't  scream, remain calm and listen to what the management have to say.  

If the management aren't  receptive to your concerns it's  time for you (all) to walk.

• 9 months ago

I worked as wait staff -- I was required to clean the bathrooms, put the plastic up when the bug guy was coming to spray, take out the garbage, clean any of the woodwork that had food particles on it, put the chairs and tables up at end of shift, put away dishes, fill/clean the salad area in the back of the house, wipe down the surfaces in the front of the house, restock the fridge, clean the microwave, pick up any litter inside the building, even change a dead lightbulb.

It's part of your JOB, you don't just get to wait on the customers.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I'd be looking for another job, I suspect it's not hard.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

In these situations, it's most reasonable to vote with your feet. If you stay, that let's management know that you don't have better options.

And if you actually *don't* have better options, then just do your duties as assigned.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 months ago

You have to say in what country you live. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.