Should a person tip according to the price of their bill, or according to how long they sit at the table?

Sometimes when I go to a restaurant, I will only order pie and coffee, but I like to stay for an hour or 2 to talk and spend time with the person I come with. I understand that I am taking up space and not ordering much food, so I like to tip more than the percentage of the bill, as I know the server could have been waiting on other people and getting more money from them. Typically I like to tip $5/hr and don't take into consideration the price of the pie and coffee.

The other day my friend told me I'm crazy and am overtipping. I don't think so. I think what I'm doing is fair.

What are your thoughts?

Favorite Answer

If I have a $25^ bill, depending on the service, I'll tip anywhere from 10-20% and very rarely more if the service is more than stellar. If my bill is anything less than $25, which would usually mean that I'm eating something cheap (and at a family diner instead of a fancy restaurant), I'll pay based on my bill, the service, and for the time ($1/hr) I sit in there not ordering anything extra because like you said you're just taking up space at that point and not contributing anything to the business. Everyone tips differently, just do what feels good to you. Eventually I hope they just get paid a decent wage and tipping because something more of a reward, not a crucial part of someone's pay.

What you're doing is very considerate and I'm sure the servers in question appreciate it.

I've never done that before-but I've never sat for overly long in a packed restaurant--but I guess if I did that I might bump that tip up---not sure about 5 bucks more an hr???  I guess I'd have to ponder that.

• ?

tip on the bill, if you like the person and you are there for a long time you could pad it a bit.

probably a little of both

• Eva

I think that's a very nice thing to do.

I understand why tipping is necessary in third world countries but in first world countries, people should be getting an adequate wage and tipping should be unnecessary. This is certainly the case in civilised countries. I was never tipped for doing the work I was paid to do in over forty years, why should I tip someone for doing the work they are paid to do? If their pay is inadequate, that is not my problem. It is something they should take up with their employer with the help of their union, it should not be up to the customers to make up the shortfall.

Unless you do live in a third world country, let's cut out tipping completely.

• ACIDxBUNNY3 weeks agoReport

Not every job has a union, but every first world country does have it's problems. People SHOULD have an adequate wage, but not everyone does because we're easy to take advantage of. 
      Also, it's not just a employee, employer issue. It's also a government issue.