Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 3 weeks ago

Does reporting people do anything?

I asked a serious question about computers and one of the people started calling me names because it was a simple question (I literally just started learning about the field yesterday).

Other people gave me good answers but now he's spamming me and the other commenters and using multiple accounts to downvote everyone. I've tried reporting him multiple times but nothing is happening. He's accusing everyone of being a troll when they're just helping me giving me good answers and he just mocked me.

No, it does not work regardless of what others say about report status or " trust levels" or multiple reports. I have seen loads of serious TOS violations.They are still active in my experience months later. I could direct you to accounts which have 300+ repeat posts, all exactly the same and an open history, yet they are still active with no content removed. How can the report system possibly be working under such circumstances? NO CHANCE. I am not ranting or looking to incite an argument but these answers are wrong and I can prove so if required. Yahoo won't let me post links here but this is just one example of pornography (I have censored) It has been around for 3 weeks on yahoo answers and the poster is still an active troll:

Of course it does........but one report does nothing.  It has to be reported many times to get taken down. 

Yes. It must take at least two or more trusted users' reports for the offending content is removed from this site.

Reporting is unlikely to remove a post just with your report.  There is a trust level (that we don't see and don't know) associated with accounts, the higher the trust level, the fewer the number of reports needed to remove a post.

Reporting will remove a post, I've seen posts vanish after I've reported them when they have been up for a while (I'm assuming several other people have reported them and I'm the final report needed) yet the same post from the same troll that just goes up and I report it will remain.

If you are new to the site, your trust level won't be very high.

• Daniel

Reporting can Help get it taken down if a Trusted Reporter Reports the Same thing it may End up getting Taken down Off of the Site

• P

More than NOT reporting them

• .

It takes multiple reports to get a post removed, and nobody knows how many for any given post. So, yes. Reporting DOES do something, because your report is combined with any other reports that post gets, until the function that removes the post from the display is triggered. Don't stop reporting just because when you do it, nothing seems to happen (you never know who or when others are reporting that same post).

.

You can also block users who harass you and provide no quality responses to your questions (as long as the user isn't using the Anonymous feature, as you did here). 

Yes, when enough users report violations they eventually get deleted.

Yahoo does nothing for some reason. I think I know who you’re talking about. There’s actually a suggestion on the feedback forum to get him banned.

i'm not sure it does, but its always worth a try.