Is moving to NYC supporting gentrification??

I’m a aspiring filmmaker and currently I’m really interested in moving to New York when I move out as I really think it’s the best place for me but I’ve been researching and watching documentaries on gentrification specifically in new York and now im not so sure anymore as I don’t want to be another white girl apart of the problem. I know it sounds stupid but I’ve been worrying about it any advise?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes,it is stupid. Lots of kids have fantasies about living in the big apple but most have no clue just how expensive it is.😉

Source(s): I live in the Tri state area.
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You are absolutely correct: it does sound stupid. Just out of curiosity, what kinds of films are you aspiring to make?

• Mike
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

I worked in NY through the seamy 70s and I feel no need to watch a dramatized version of them.

• 3 weeks ago

Gentrification means taking over run-down properties in what you think is an area with rising value, and rebuilding that property to sell (eventually, if this becomes your residence) to people with $$$ - thus displacing the culture of the previous enclave of residents. One low-rent white girl is hardly going to do that. Nor is an *aspiring film maker* going to afford decent NYC rentals. Read the Real Estate section of the NY Times on Sundays - we do. You will despair -  but we LAUGH at the idiocy off it all. Cannot touch our property 90 minutes upstate / and we are both career arts professionals. Let us know when you have a film degree and some success - then you can talk about real estate and its social implications.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

At least you have experience with rats.  "Move out" - as in leave home for first apartment? Must be 21 with verified income (pay stub) or co-signer, and front a one month deposit.  Are you in HS now?  NYC. will eat you. Good luck . . .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.