Is moving to NYC supporting gentrification??

I’m a aspiring filmmaker and currently I’m really interested in moving to New York when I move out as I really think it’s the best place for me but I’ve been researching and watching documentaries on gentrification specifically in new York and now im not so sure anymore as I don’t want to be another white girl apart of the problem. I know it sounds stupid but I’ve been worrying about it any advise?

Yes,it is stupid. Lots of kids have fantasies about living in the big apple but most have no clue just how expensive it is.😉

Source(s): I live in the Tri state area.
  • Mike

You are absolutely correct: it does sound stupid. Just out of curiosity, what kinds of films are you aspiring to make?

• Mike
      3 weeks agoReport

I worked in NY through the seamy 70s and I feel no need to watch a dramatized version of them.

Gentrification means taking over run-down properties in what you think is an area with rising value, and rebuilding that property to sell (eventually, if this becomes your residence) to people with $$$ - thus displacing the culture of the previous enclave of residents. One low-rent white girl is hardly going to do that. Nor is an *aspiring film maker* going to afford decent NYC rentals. Read the Real Estate section of the NY Times on Sundays - we do. You will despair -  but we LAUGH at the idiocy off it all. Cannot touch our property 90 minutes upstate / and we are both career arts professionals. Let us know when you have a film degree and some success - then you can talk about real estate and its social implications.

• Mamianka
      3 weeks agoReport

At least you have experience with rats.  "Move out" - as in leave home for first apartment? Must be 21 with verified income (pay stub) or co-signer, and front a one month deposit.  Are you in HS now?  NYC. will eat you. Good luck . . .