Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Is this woman being rude? How to deal with someone who is walking the line but really is finding loopholes to be rude to me?

My son has ABA therapist that comes to my home. The one who comes 3 times a week is fine but her manager who comes about the times a month is the person I have an issue with.

She and I used to be fine with each other. Somewhere down the line (after a year) she acts like she lost respect for me or just simply doesn't like me. She's smart and knows that as long as I walk the line doing what I'm supposed to do, I can't get into any trouble.

I felt the moment where she came in to my home treating me very different, couldn't even crack a smile, for about 3 months now she's kept with the same attitude. The very first thing she asks my child (with concern on her face) she asks my son, "did you go to school today?"! Then she gives me a message that she says all families are getting about a reminder of the rules about cancelling too much. She said we don't have a problem with you but we are sending this message out to all families. She sent this to me in text not a letter through the mail. Which by the way, my son does have health issues and sees the doctors at least twice a month on day's the therapist comes. They also have seen him not feeling well and cancelled themselves leaving early.

There are other things that make say hmmm??? but again, I feel like I can't talk to her because she walks the line. It just seems like she's finding loopholes where she can deliver attitude and using words with me that leave a bad taste in my mouth but... it's frustrating.

Should I call in a meeting with her and ask her is there anything I did to elicit negative feelings that she's showing?

*The part where she said all families are getting a letter about the cancellation. She said you don't have to sign a contract YET. The Yet Is important, she said it 3 times. I feel like she has a problem with his attendance for ABA.

• Cas

She sounds like a know-it-all.

sounds like shes being rude

You're making a lot of assumptions.  You and you alone are responsible for how you interpret and reach to the way someone talks.  I would suggest that you ask for a meeting but don't start with "why are you giving me negative attitude/". Instead, state what is true -- you feel that she doesn't like or respect you. They you can ask if your feeling are accurate and what, if anything, the two of you can do to improve your relationship.  

If you truly feel this APA therapist has engaged in professional misconduct or has somehow mislead you and/or your son, have a conversation with her Manager and share your experiences.  Also, be open to learning more about the policies and regulations of this organization and sector, so you can be more informed about the services your son is receiving.

You're not really giving examples of her "attitude".

The cancellation lecture seems to be a VERY common one with ABA providers. They often have waiting lists and don't want to tie up slots with people who cancel regularly ...even if the cancellations are legitimate. When you cancel, they don't get paid. They WILL drop you in favor of a more regular client.

As far as asking about her feelings, I'm inclined to think it's not a great idea ...but again, I don't know specifics about her attitude.