Can someone please tell me WHY MOST AMERICANS do NOT know that their vote does NOT count towards electing the president??

The electoral college votes count, ours does not. I am just curious why MOST AMERICANS do not know this! Didn't everyone take U.S. History/government/social studies?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Thankfully "MOST AMERICANS" didn't just find out about the Electoral College in 2016 (just those who postdate the time when public schools stopped teaching government). It's the "super delegates" used to stifle Sanders voters in 2016 that stunned most people.

• 2 weeks ago

because they are UNEUCATED and listen to fake news..

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Because that's not true. 

The electoral college vote is determined by the popular vote.  The way it works in 48 states (plus Washington DC) is that the candidate who gets the most votes wins all of that state's electoral votes.  In Nebraska and Maine they do things slightly differently.  They give two electoral votes to the overall popular vote winner and then they distribute the rest of the votes according to who won the most votes in each Congressional district. 

So people's votes do determine the president, just indirectly and in a manner which can result, as it did in 2016, in the losing candidate becoming president.

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Your vote decides which electors get to represent your state; so your vote does count towards electing the President.  You should have stayed awake in your US History/government/social studies class.

• Yes, Im aware that our votes count towards the state representative.  Im talking specifically about the vote for president, not state representative

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • NiJo
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

When the electoral college resists a states selection, you'd have a huge point. Till then, you're blowin' smoke. 

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Why don't YOU know that it does, just very indirectly?

• Ibredd
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Do most Americans not take a government class in school

• 2 weeks ago

Not everyone paid attention, I knew this guy Shaun who did bath salts during class and had to be rushed to the hospital. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.