Need help understanding my essay prompt?

The prompt is: Identify and examine the distinctly medieval and Catholic elements of Dante's epic that distinguish his work from earlier classical epic poetry.

I've finished the book but I need to understand how to answer the latter part of the prompt which is how his work compares to earlier classical epic poetry. An explanation of the prompt overall would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Check out http://essaysshop.com for essay writing services

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Well, "earlier classical epic poetry" would include the Iliad and Odyssey by "Homer" (whoever he/they was/were), the Aeniad by Vergil, etc.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

First, you need to have studied “earlier classical epic poetry”, so you understand what you are comparing Dante’s work TO.

Also, before you can write about them, you need to IDENTIFY the medieval and Catholic elements therein. If you haven’t done so, work on that, and make sure you understand the symbolism and/or meaning of these elements in real-life medieval times, and to the Catholic church at the time the book was written.

Finally, don”t just read the book... read OTHER books - analyses by other writers. That will be especially helpful if you are not very familiar.

At every step of your study, take notes and mark references - text, page, and paragraph so that you can find it again if necessary.

• 2 weeks ago

They're saying his work changed the focus of how Catholicism was viewed in major works. The essay is asking you to describe how it changed.

You should move this to homework help. You'll get better answers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.