Is there any disadvantages to driving a Crossover compared to a Sedan?

my sister got a good deal on a 2019 CRV Touring on clearance shes had it for 3 days but her boyfriend was telling her how its too big, it will be hard to get into tight spaces, horrible turning radius, the AWD will be dangerous in terms of cornering, the run flat tires do not come with a spare. He was totally against Crossovers. He wants her to get a Civic 2019 Touring, he was saying its smaller, easier to drive, easier to fit into smaller spaces, more comfortable for the driver and passengers, less maintenance

I might have to agree. He is a car guy he drives a 2011 Chrysler 300 V6 Pentastar and he takes care of his cars well.

• zipper

Your sister needs a new boy friend with a brain. None of that is true, All wheel drive handles better in most road conditions and quite well in all other's.  I have both all wheel drive and four wheel drive: I LOVE THEM BOTH!

i would never trust a guy about buying a car if he drives a Chrysler 300.

• F

AWD dangerous for cornering? He's talking out of his ***. Run flat tyres are great for someone who might not be able to change a wheel or maybe is in a situation where it would  be dangerous, in the dark or on a motorway maybe. At least you can drive homeor to the repair shop.

The CRV and Civic share the same chassis, so they are roughly the same size. 

AWD has nothing to do with cornering ability.

Boyfriend can buy her a spare if it's so important.If your sister likes it, she should keep it. 

If she paid for the vehicle already it's a bit too late now.

Anyone who likes a Chrysler 300 is not someone I'd take car advice from! What a POS

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • YKhan

He's driving a Chrysler 300, and he's complaining about how a CRV is too big? The 300 is bigger than the CRV! Pretty much all of the rest of his criticisms are useless too. A Civic will be slightly more fuel efficient, but it won't be more comfortable for drivers or passengers. And the AWD is actually pretty good for handling and cornering. Run Flat Tires vs. spare tire is an issue that many traditionalists are having a hard time wrapping their heads around still.

• JetDoc

Her "boyfriend" is an IDIOT! Anyone who drives a Chrysler 300 is a total jerk!

• Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

good point, or the 200...; on the other hand, such response from a source like that might indicate that the crv is actually just fine :)

It is her car and her money as near as I can tell.

The plus features are a better view, better seating and when the roads are risky if driven wisely safer.

The minus side is it has a higher center of gravity. But at posted speeds it is competent in the hands of a competent driver. It will not corner like a sedan but most people who buy crossovers are not interested in autocross driving.

It really depends.  I have a crossover - a Subaru Crosstrek.  It's smaller than many sedans as far as length - no issues with cornering or turning radius.  It's taller, which means I have a better view of the road.  And the hatchback makes it a good choice when loaded up for road trips, or just making a large Costco run.  I've driven it without problems in blizzards and ice storms that I wouldn't risk with a sedan.  Of course, for someone who lives in a warm area that's not a big deal.  It's also much more comfortable for my very tall nephew when he's in back than when he's in his mom's sedan due to the extra head room.

However, different people have different needs.  If your sister likes it, it's fine for her.

• Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

yes some of those subaru are very good in less than half meter snow

Depends on what you will use it for--just people or some cargo more than just a couple suitcases or some grocery bags?  Go somewhere with rough roads?  Just around town?  Want higher gas mileage?

I have a big SUV that I am confident is survivable in, even if hit by a semi.  Not sure about my about-town little electric sedan.