Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 3 weeks ago

What are wild animals thinking when they eat other animals?

I do get they are hungry and need to survive and everything but I've seen these nature channels where they sometimes snatch newborns right from their mothers as soon as they are born and things like that.  And then many of them don't even have the decency to kill them first.  I know they don't think as humans do but shouldn't they have more mercy towards babies at least?

Probably the same thing you would think as you wolf down a meal after not eating for a day or two.

probably nothing beside the primal desire to not starve

What are you thinking when you eat a steak?

Dinner, and I will live to see tomorrow.

Unlike humans that might kill for no reason, wild animals only kill for their own survival. You are talking the meat eaters here that often prey on the herbivores, this keeping their populations fro eating all plant life and starving.

A balance of nature.

• F

Probably the same as we do eating othr animals, yum! (animals are actually more sensible because they favour the more nutritional parts (internal organs) over the "meaty" parts that we like best.

• JimZ

I think they think of their prey as food.  They aren't killing in any malicious way.  They are killing to fulfill their niche.  Without predators, our ecosystems wouldn't really work.  They keep it healthy and they keep the herbivores in check.  A newborn is an opportunity at a easy meal.  You can't put human morals to them.  They aren't moral.  I still think of them as wonderful and beautiful animals.  The world can be a cruel place to our standards.  

• Tom S

No, their own survival is what they are thinking about, morality is one of the things which separates humans from animals.

• That's the thing with blind impulse, it requires no moral consideration to manifest.

Nature is anything but kind.