Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 weeks ago

Do you think more customers would try to apply for a store credit card if they knew we could get in trouble when they say no?

At my retail job, we have weekly goals of around 35 credit cards. If we fall short, the goal goes up the following week to compensate. If there’s any given day we don’t get any cards at all, our district manager pays a visit to investigate why we didn’t get any cards. I can usually get 4 or 5 credit cards myself per week, yet my manager says my percentage of credit cards to transactions is still low. I get a lot of customers that already have the card, or don’t want to apply because they have bad credit. A lot of customers treat it like a joke, chuckle, and say, “No thank you but I know you have to ask.” Sometimes I get customers that sound completely interested only to back out at the last second, saying, “Wait....is that a credit card? No thanks.” Or different excuses like conveniently forgetting their social security number or can’t think of their annual income. 

I think you should quit. Because its just too hard for you to do what they ask.

Cashiers at walgreens used to be required to suggestively sell a candy bar to every customer.

No, they would not.

No. But some of them would stop shopping at the store, so there would be fewer transactions, and your percentage of cards to transactions would be higher.

No.  It would not matter to them.

It is YOUR CHOICE to stay with a job that demands that sort of quota.

It is MY responsibility to consider MY credit score and the number of cards I already have vs the number of cards I want or need.  It is MY responsibility to avoid too many hard draws on my credit report in case I need to make a major purchase of importance - like a car or a home.  

It is not my concern to help you reach your quota.  

• Judy

I have a Penney's card that I applied for only because the cashier had been so helpful.

Nope...they know you have quotas...but those quotas are not their responsibility. 

Don't you think we already know that you have a quota?

We do.  And no, we aren't going to take a store credit card with a ridiculously high interest rate and fees, just to be nice to the cashier. 

• audrey

I would seriously look for a different job.

No.  Customers are never going to care more about you meeting your employer's signup goal than they are about their own finances.  

• Eva

No one is going to take a hit on their credit report to add another credit card with high interest that they don't want. Your managers should realize by now that if the customer wanted a card, they'd already have one.