Which should I visit? New York City or Atlanta?

I want to go for a couple days. No fancy eating (maybe one place). Thinking of going around spring (March) or summer (Late July). Flying from Chicago. Some New York attractions I want to see are the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Joker Stairs, etc. some Atlanta attractions I want to see are the CNN Center, the World of Coca Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, Piedmont Park, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum, etc. which city should I go to and should I go in the spring or summer?

Favorite Answer

I'm a native Atlantan, been to NYC many times. But, as a tourist...you'll probably enjoy NYC better

I've been to both cities attractions and they are great, but I feel NYC has more to offer...to do. A car isn't necessary in both cities to attend their attractions. I just find NYC more exciting, but maybe because I'm a native of Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't have great bridges, bays and sounds like NYC but we have great parks, lakes ( Lake Lanier, lake Allatoona, The Chattahoochee river, etc) Georgia is a scenic state with lots of history. 

Great people are in both cities. I think New Yorkers are more hurried but helping and Atlanta people more outgoing, friendly. Both cities are conditioned for tourists.  

• Mike

I don't know about Atlanta, but you picked 2 bad months to visit NYC. Some of the worst snow storms in the city's history, including the blizzard of 1888, took place in March. On the other hand, one July day, I stepped off the sidewalk in Times Square onto the asphalt street surface which was very soft. I lifted my foot and I could see the imprint of the cat on the heel of my shoe.

Try to visit in May or October.

• MS

If you choose Atlanta, definitely go in the spring.  It's miserably hot and humid in the summer.  NYC can also be miserably hot and humid in the summer, but it could also have snow in March; so it's really a toss-up there.  I usually visit NYC later in the spring or in the early summer.  

No one can make this decision for you though.  I have been to Atlanta a few times and think it's okay.  I don't love it there.  The Georgia Aquarium is pretty cool though.  I visit NYC frequently and definitely prefer it.

NYC is way cooler than Atlanta

You can't go wrong either way. New York will be easier to get around in go there first and plan Atlanta next.

• Rick

TOO COLD in NYC !! ..............................