Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 4 weeks ago

Can I add garden rocks to freshwater aquarium?

My father found these packaged river rocks in the garden section of Lowe's that he thinks would look beautiful in both of my aquariums (1 gallon unfiltered tank with baby Molly's and baby snails. The other is a 3 gallon filtered with a beta). Though they would be a gorgeous addition, I'm wondering if it would be harmful to add them into my fresh water tanks? Do I have to do anything extra to them like boiling them to make them safe? Should I bring them to the fish store to have them tested? I'll add a picture of the packaged rocks as soon as I can.

Thank you for all of your quick answers! Just to clarify I did not find these rocks outside.They came package in a thick plastic container. They're extremely smooth and very clean.I can't add a picture for some reason but I have the name.Akasha (The leader in decorative accents) Countryside river rocks,5lbs.They were bought at Lowe's hardware store,garden section.I also can't add a link to the product for some reason,but I'm sure you can find them if you want to look them up on the Lows website.

The problem is that somtimes those things have chimicals to make them shine.  

• Angel

Wash them and scrub them well with a brush, no detergent or bleach or powders.  If your worried about contamination, a 20 minute hard boil will sanitize them.  Let cool naturally and add to the tank

• Bill

you can simply wash the rocks( no detergents) to remove any pesticides or herbacides before putting them in the tanks

remember that fish live around the rocks in rivers and creeks naturally

Yes but as already advised give them a good rinse first.

• The principal danger to using your own outdoor gravel and stones in an aquarium is the possibility that they contain calcium, which that can change the pH of aquarium water. ... Another way of testing rocks and gravel is to place the washed stones in a bucket of the same water that you use in your aquarium.

• i'd put them in a bottle with holes in the bottom and run the water as a filter for a while or put it in a jar with water and shake and repeat several times to make sure you remove lime or other potentially dangerous contaminants.