Is there any practical way to buy back the house and farm where I was raised?

Long story short, my parents got the land really cheap, held onto it for many years, just in case I ever wanted it. This is where I grew up. 

Years later, the land appreciated in value and they sold it. Although devistated, I had become accustomed to living in the city by this point (age 30). 

I just turned 40 and must admit Im full of regrets. Had I encouraged them to keep the place, things may be different. But the place is now worth 5x what it used to be and Im (sadly) flat broke with mounds of student loan debt. My parents and I now live several states away from the farm.  I dont see any possible way of living there again but I dream about the place every single night. First thought in the morning, last thought before bed. 

This probably depends to some degree on what the buyers of this property did with it. If they bought it to subdivide and sell off you may be able to buy a piece of it. Alternatively if they're running it as a farm you ma be able to broker a deal to own a small piece of it. You'd have to contact the current owners to see if they'll make a deal.

Sure. You raise the money and make the current owner an offer he'd be a fool to refuse.

Practical way???  You don’t have the funds to buy it and (I will assume) you can’t get a mortgage to qualify to buy it.   

As with anything else. If you can’t afford it, you don’t get it.

And even if you did have the funds doesn’t mean the owners would want to sell. 

The only practical way to obtain any property, at least in countries with a working justice system, is to pay for it when its owners wish to sell it. How you get the money to pay for it is your problem.

talk to the people that own it and tell them you want to buy it

• Kieth

Negotiate with the current owners, if they don't want to sell, you accept the fact that things change.

• martin

There are a couple old sayings that come to mind: "you can never go home again" and "how are you going to keep them down on the farm, after they've seen Paris?" Your nostalgia is shared by many people. Some follow through, move back home, and stay the rest of their lives.