Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

If a child didnt finish High School do you still pay child support at  age18?

Update:

In NYS if a child did not finish HS are you still obligated to pay child Support. 

If child finished HS but does not go to college, but has a job and stays home with mom in NYS. Are you still obligated to pay Child Support.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

you are an adult at 18, no one is required to take care of you 

• Incorrect adult age is 21 and incompetent people always have to be taken care of.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have never seen an order like that. I have seen an order where child support continues past 18 if the child is still in high school.

The date the child support terminates will be listed on the court order. That is where you will find your answer. 

• 3 weeks ago

You will usually pay until HS ends or minority ends, which is at age 21. Sometimes it can go beyond that if they are disabled or in college. The rules are different in each state. 

• 3 weeks ago

It would depend on how the child support decision is written, but usually YES you pay support until they are 18.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have never seen high school as part of a child support order, guess it could be. The order is supposed to specify age unless you are in a state like NH, where state law makes them all 21 or 22, don't remember which. If unsure, check the order and cross it against the state laws.

• y
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the info, not sure where NY comes into play. Wasn't in the question nor part of my example of how some states, do it differently. But. thanks anyways.

• 3 weeks ago

Smart people read the court order and do what the order requires. Smart people call their lawyer if after reading the order they are still unclear of the requirements.

Not smart people post generic questions like "If a child didnt finish High School do you still pay child support at  age18?" that do not even reference the state/country where this happened and expect either the law to be global or the reader to be clairvoyant.

• 3 weeks ago

That depends on what the support order says.

• 3 weeks ago

yes. .

• al
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

In most states child support is paid until the child's 19th birthday as they are a minor until then. School has nothing to do with it! 

• 3 weeks ago

Child support stops when they turn 18, as they are then adults and not children anymore. And finishing School or not has nothing to do with child support.

• 18 are not adults and yes you often will pay until they finish HS or turn 21.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.