Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Does my Manager/Supervisor have to keep something confidential if I ask them to?

This past week I applied for a job and informed both my Supervisor and Manager that I would be doing so.  I asked them both to keep the potential job opening confidential until it was finalized.  I informed them that I would communicate any updates that I was given and that I would give (at least) a 2 weeks notice.  They both told me not to worry and that they wouldn't communicate this to anyone until I confirmed that I would be taking the position.

Today, I come to work to find out from my Supervisor (whom I confided in) that they were "forced" by my Manager (whom I also confided in) to tell the Site Manager that I may potentially be leaving the company for another position.  This specifically goes against every request that I made to them.  My Supervisor stated that they were worried because he/she has a vacation coming up and he/she doesn't want that to be ruined by an employee leaving and not having enough coverage.

Not only do I believe that this is unprofessional, but I also think it is very inappropriate.  Is there any employee - employer confidentiality that they are going against?  Also, are they allowed to lie to me and tell me they wont communicate something, and then do so?

Any information that you guys are able to provided will be greatly appreciated.

WHAT a complete joke YOU are.  As an employer of many if you tried that with me or my managers/supervisors you would have found yourself told that you were a mere employee and we ran the company and personnel!  In additional I would have ask you who the hell you think you are?

Sooooo are you another idiot who thinks they have any kind of suit here what-so-ever?  Please say no as you would be laughed out of court!

If you are on your way out of the company so being your "buddy" is far less important to them than being in the good graces of their supervisors. It was a huge mistake to tell them and you knew that but you did it anyway. THAT mistake is what you should be focusing on.

• Maxi

Neither have any legal 'confidenctiality' to you, they work for the employer and are paid by them, not you.... one of them or both of them did the right thing for themselves and the company they work for...... which is why you tell no one and expect nothing and why notice period is a normal expected and often legal obligation to give the employ time to get someone else to replace you

It is unfortunate that your supervisor was unable to honor your request, however they were under zero obligation to keep that information private.   Employees really have no right to privacy in the workplace expect in very specific circumstances.

It is perfectly appropriate for information to be shared on a need-to-know basis, and the company determined that the Site Manager needed to know.   They are running a business and the world doesn't revolve around your feelings or preferences. 

You may feel it's unprofessional, but your butt-hurt is your problem.   You're the one who's quitting.   It's not the company's job to protect you from any potential awkwardness about your decision to leave the company.   They could have just escorted you to the door and told you not to come back so consider yourself lucky.

No, they do not. They actually have a duty to the company to let upper management know you might be leaving. It isn't unprofessional at all.

No. The people who must keep your confidences include your lawyer, your priest, your physician, nut not your bosses.

• xyzzy

They did nothing illegal if that is what you are asking. You should have no expectation of confidentiality if you tell management that you plan to leave, Their loyalty will normally be to the company not to you.

• y

They don't have to do as you requested, and in fact. They didn't.That's life and very often, how it ends up working out in these sorts of situations. Unless it is part of your contract or in writing, then about all you can do, is *****.

• blank

Sorry to say, but no - there is no such confidentiality.  It does sux on a human/personal level - BUT you have to realize they have a company to run.

What you did was "nice" but a bit altruistic.   One thing I have leard in all my years is that companies expect people will leave at some point - they just do not like knowing about it ahead of time.  Instability and uncertainty is a manager's bane and by making your announcement - you created that (worse than IF you leave).

Think of this way too:  What you said is I really don't like it here and I am no longer committed to you and company.  So I am going to leave, but if where I want to go doesn't want me, then meh, I will stay here (for now).

You have forever labeled yourself as "going out the door - at some point."  And you have clearly stated that where you are now is "second best" to a perceived better place somewhere else.    In the long run you have cut your own throat - no promotions, fewer or smaller raises (regardless of your performance), etc.  Why should the company continue to invest in you if you are not happy and committed?

For you own sake and for your future company's sake - keep job seeking to yourself.  You are NOT obligated to say anything and it is far better if you DON'T.   Just look for your job and once a firm offer to hire is made - give your two weeks notice.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

Are you serious. So basically screw the company that you work for.  Who cares about filling in your position.  You know the world doesn't stop around you. The company that you are quitting has to find your replacement.  You think it is just happens within a day or two.  No there is a process on screening applicants. - Which can take up to a month or so.

To answer your question.  The only thing that a manger can hold confidential is your health, or disability.